Home » sewing

put your shades on for this one

24 April 2006 1,298 views 7 Comments

I’d been thinking awhile about how to tackle April’s Project Spectrum colours of orange and yellow. I’m trying not to buy new fabric or yarn for the next few months until I finish off some of the projects I already have on the go, so I went stash diving. For as much as I love orange, I don’t have many orange fabrics. And as much as I dislike yellow, I seem to be overflowing with it. How does that work?

Denyse_schmidt_sunglass_case
Sunglasses_case
A friend had kindly gifted me with Denyse Schmidt’s Quilt-It Kit a few weeks back and this is my first effort. The "I Can See Clearly Now Eyeglasses Case." It’s an easy pattern to follow but I’m not overwhelmed with the result. I know it all comes down to my fabric selection. I like the red flannel lining, I like the daisy print, the flames and the yellow bit at the bottom, but the Home Depot orange stripes at the top aren’t working for me. It’s unbalanced and decidedly…meh.

Anybody want a sunglasses case?  Maryse is getting a new sunglasses case!

• maryse said:

well i love it. i think it’s adorable. i’ll take it off your hands.

• Susan said:

It looks beautifully done, and the stripes aren’t so very Home Depot-y. Was it at least fun to make?

• Karen said:

I think it was really cute. Of course, I love orange and stripes. :)
    Are you going to make more?

• Lolly said:

A lovely project for this month, Caro! I love the stripes, and now Maryse will be so hip with a cool glasses holder :)
    Best wishes,
    Lolly

• Debbie said:

When I looked at it quickly the first time, I thought it was a little pirate! With a pointy moustache and goatee, and a blue bandana. A pirate sunglasses case is exactly what you need. This came close, but I think you need to try one more. :)

• maryse said:

caro! i just got the sunglass case today and i love it ! it’s so beautifully made. you are a true talent! i’m so glad i was the first to comment that day. one woman’s trash is really another’s treasure.

• Hanna said:

great sunglass case, great idea, colour and hmm… quilted too!