Home » knitting, socks

summer blooms

15 July 2006 1,165 views 7 Comments

Crape_myrtle_branches
Lornas_laces_stockinetteLornas_laces_sock_wip_smLornas_laces_sm
In Texas right now the Crape Myrtle trees are in full bloom. They’re a lovely combination of dark pink, green and brown and they are everywhere. You can’t drive down any street in Austin without seeing a myriad of these trees in all sizes. Seemingly inspired by the colours around me I dug out some Lorna’s Laces I bought at HCW a few months ago and cast on for a new sock. The green in the socks is spare, but I’m enjoying the brown and dark pinks. The pattern is the Oak Ribbed Sock from the Nancy Bush book Knitting Vintage Socks, but I think I’ll christen this one the Crape Myrtle sock.

• janna said:

Those colors are beautiful. I love the bright pink crape myrtles – unfortunately, mine are white and very wimpy lavender.

• isel said:

Beautiful colors.
    Love the simple pattern.

• Kelli said:

Pretty! Do the smell good? (Um, the trees, not the socks.)

• Olga said:

Hey, Caro:
    Thanks for the comment on my blogiversary post! I wasn’t planning on seeing the Yarn Harlot, because I most likely will be moving that weekend. Urgh, erm…but I really want to go! If I have time, maybe I can be peer pressured. :-)

• Donna said:

Very pretty sock. The colors are fabulous!

• Lolly said:

Those colors look so spectacular! Very pretty knit :)

• elizabeth said:

So pretty! And yes, the colors are just like the ubiquitous crepe myrtles (they ought to be Alabama’s state bush, if there is such a thing). I haven’t knit with LL yet, but it’s on the list to try. BTW – my husband has been vying for a KISS pinball machine for years!