Home » knitting, socks

behold the humble paper clip

20 July 2006 1,343 views 14 Comments

Crape_myrtle_sock_1_sm
Paperclip_needle_sm
Crape_myrtle_toe_graft
Crape_myrtle_sm
I’m a resourceful woman. Having worked in an environment where buying new pencils midseason could get you into budget trouble, I learned to scavenge and make do. Given a situation where the tools I need are unavailable, I’ll find something to make it work. A MacGyver in training if you will. Like today. Today I forgot to throw my knitting finishing kit (a change purse with a tapestry needle, a yarn threader and a yarn cutter) in my bag before I went to work. I had 8 rows left on the first Crape Myrtle* sock that I knew I’d be able to finish before lunch time. Gah! How can I Kitchener stitch the toes together without a needle? I’ve made a paper clip into a crochet hook before, but this was something new.

And whaddya know, apparently paper clips can work for this too!

*I found a better tree to show the colours

• Elizabeth K said:

Those colors are terrific.

• Emily said:

That is one gorgeous kitchener, and I love those socks!

• Sharon said:

A girl’s gotta do what a girl’s gotta do! Love the resourcefulness and the sock is great!

• Erin said:

Fabulous use of the paper clip! The other day, I used one as a make-shift cable needle :) I love the sock colorway, by the way! Pretty, pretty!

• Kellee said:

So clever! IF, and I do mean IF, the paperclip had even once occured to me in that situation, it would so have been to to hold the stitches until I got home to the tapestry needle so that I could then cast on for the next sock and not be stuck away from home with no knitting. This is much, much smarter.
    I miss the Crepe Myrtles…..and, come to think of it, the Magnolias. *sigh* Thanks for the picture.

• jess said:

macgyver you are! :) that’s great.
    my crape myrtles are just starting to bloom here in VA. Love the sock!

• Nadia said:

I’m all about the cheapo fix to everything. Yesterday’s replacement to a fork was two pens as chopsticks. The kids I work with laughed at me, but I got to eat my tuna and that’s what counts.

• monica said:

You are hardcore!! That’s so awesome! If I ever get a job selling paperclips I can add that as one of the uses.

• kristin said:

what a great idea! thanks for the tip. And the socks look great.

• Julia said:

Love the sock! Love the colors! Love the ingenuity! I come from a long line of MacGyvers.

• Karen said:

Very resourceful. I would have just waited until I got home. I am lazy like that.
    Pretty socks!

• Li_B said:

I’m working on a scarf in that same colourway. Too bad I left my entire knitting bag in a yarn shop for the entire weekend, I’d be a lot farther along.
    Li

• Kathy said:

Found you via Julia’s blog. *That* invention is way cool!

• miss ewe said:

You are INCREDIBLY resourceful!!! Hello from a fellow Canadian!