Home » this & that, uncommon threads

pardon me while I indulge

23 August 2006 1,129 views 10 Comments

My dad was our official family photographer. He had a great eye and an innate sense of composition. He took photos that family and friends treasure as heirlooms. He loved to take pictures and had his camera everywhere he went. So, there aren’t many photos of Dad The Photographer. He was always behind the camera, never in front, but there is plenty of evidence of his craft. I’ve found there’s a parallel between my dad and his photography and me and my knitting. Everyone sees me knit, there’s a lovely product at the end, but the execution is not as well documented.

Backstage_knitting
Airport_knitting
Rehearsing_backstage
When bloggers go on a trip together, there are plenty of photos to be taken. That’s why I’m so thankful for Jennifer and Marisa and all the pictures they took of me knitting and sewing while we were in California. It’s something I’m not able to do on my own (I’m uncomfortable with my self-portraits,) but they’re pictures I would never have otherwise. Thanks ladies, I’m overjoyed with the moments in time you’ve caught.

(and don’t you LOVE how grouchy that woman in the airport picture looks?)

• meg said:

i love the photo of you laughing at the airport. knitting and laughing – what a great shot! and a cute shirt.

• Christine said:

Seriously, with you around – HOW could that airport woman look so grouchy? I mean, look at the obvious joy you are having! Her? Yeah. Nothing.
    I love the one of you knitting. It just looks so serene!

• S t a c i said:

It’s the shirt! I saw that shirt for the first time on Stalker Angie in Austin. It all comes full circle now, because you actually blogged a photo while wearing the shirt.
    The airport photo is priceless.

• Becky said:

She’s probably grouchy because she’s not knitting!

• Lolly said:

I love that too – hang out with the bloggers and there are camera flashes everywhere :)
    Cute action shots!

• kristin said:

terrific action shots and great idea! That woman in the airport is totally jealous that you’re having fun and she’s obviously not.

• Emily said:

What great photos! You look so happy at the airport, knitting and laughing, that’s priceless.

• jenny r said:

I guess it wouldn’t hurt to mention it was 6 in the morning at the airport! Caro, let me know if you want me to adjust my flickr settings so you can order prints of the photos. Flickr photos turn out pretty good! I just ordered 26 or so (long overdue) with a handful being from our trip.
    You know, if you’re like me, you’ll look back at these pictures in ten years and say, “I was so young!”

• Angela said:

Love the t-shirt in the third one ;)

• Annika said:

Wow! You’re like a machine woman! How do you find time to create all these lovely things?