Home » knitting

possibilities

6 September 2006 942 views 9 Comments

Cascade_for_the_husband_sm
I’ve been delaying starting a new knitting project even though I have nothing on the needles right now. To tell the truth, I’m feeling a little overwhelmed knitting-wise. There are so many scarves, socks, cardigans and baby sweaters that I want to gift-knit that I almost don’t know where to turn. There is also One Big Knitting Project that I’m waffling about. I’ve been working for almost a year on a design for a hip sweater for The Husband. And when I say ‘working on a design’ I mean that I’ve been thinking about it a lot. Not a week goes by that I don’t add or subtract some design element. It won’t be difficult, it will be almost all stockinette, but I want to make sure I get the details right. After seeing the contrasting hem facings on Brooklyn Tweed’s seamless hybrid, I’m motivated to get it out on paper.

The funny thing is the pressure to knit this sweater doesn’t come from The Husband. It’s all me. I’m constantly going on about all the great sweaters and socks I’d like to knit for him, but I haven’t done anything about it. He smiles, says, "yeah! That’d be cool!" and I continue to fine tune his projects in my brain. That stops with this sweater. It doesn’t need to be perfect, he doesn’t even need to wear it, I just need to get the pattern out of my head and I’ll feel better.

• Susan said:

Draft it out! Grab a beer, some nachos and put that perfect man sweater on paper.

• Natalie said:

Hey girl, it was good to see you the other night at Opal Divines! Hope to see you again soon for a glitterati meeting!

• Julia said:

That yarn is gorgeous! You must start that project soon. The husband deserves the perfect man sweater. It’s gonna be cold soon. And if it’s not, I’m sure you guys will have to visit Canada some time or other. Been in a quandry myself lately.

• anne said:

Well, if the yarn is anything to judge from, I think it’ll be fab whenever it makes its earthly appearance. Gorgeous colors.

• FinnyKnits said:

This is why I love my blogging craft peeps! Caro – you just made me feel better about only having made ONE, count ’em, ONE knitted item for my husband in my career as a sometimes sweatshop-esque knitter/crocheter. I feel bad, too, but I feel like I want whatever he’s parading around in to be the nicest, bestest, most want-inducing knitted item to ever grace this great earth. In case anyone asks where he got it, you know. So he can say, MY WIFE made it for me!
    Either way – I’m with Susan, get a beer and bang that puppy out. I know it’ll be amazing and we’ll all be in awe of your greatness. :)

• Susan said:

Lucky for me, my husband doesn’t wear sweaters. No guilt.
    When I read “hip sweater for The Husband” I immediately thought of brooklyntweed’s sweater. Then I saw that you were already on it. It looks so cool! I love the yarn you’ve chosen. I can’t wait to see it knitted up.

• Julia said:

I hear you I was just going over my “must knit now” and then my WIP list, long, very long…..

• Stacey said:

I LOVE that yarn, what is it? I think it will make a gorgeous sweater for the husbeast *smile*

• penny said:

I’ve got at least two unfinished sweaters which were met by non-enthusiasm by DH. He is now the proud owner of a knitted waistcoat though.