Home » quilting

forest for the trees

10 September 2006 1,718 views 17 Comments

Brown_baby_quilt_wip_sm
Chinese_coin_ironing_board_wip
Chinese_coin_wip_sm
When I’m putting together a new quilt, I never realize where the colour inspiration comes from until I’m knee-deep in the project. Last week I started piecing a baby-sized chinese coin quilt (partially inspired by one Wee Wonderfuls Hillary did ages ago.) I pinched the brown cotton from Mum’s stash last summer and I’ve had the blues on standby for almost a year as well. I supplemented the scheme with a touch of orange and yellow (Heather Ross’s gnomes and mushrooms from Cia’s Palette) and some random scraps.

Chinese_coin_inspiration
The half-pieced quilt hung on my studio door for almost a week until I realized with a shock the colours weren’t original to me. Look what I cropped out of the door photo. See that? Hanging from the doorknob? Those are wristlets that I finished four weeks ago and have been hanging in plain sight since then. Clearly I’m not as clever as I thought.

• isel said:

You might have taken the idea for the colors from that fabric, but the way you arranged the pieces is still very clever and beautiful.
    I love it!

• gina said:

I love it! Brown and turquoise is one of my current favorite color combinations, but I think it’s the orange that really makes it. Bravo!

• kwugirl said:

Good ideas should be used more than once!
    Your quilt looks lovely :)

• meg said:

the quilt looks fabulous. i adore all of those colors together. i agree with kwugirl. good ideas should be used more than once.

• Christine said:

I noticed the wristlets right away when I saw the shot on Flickr. The quilt also reminded me of the uber fabulous business card holder I have. I’m all about the brown and blue these days.
    Nothing to do with this – are there any artist craft show things in the Austin area? Like the event on S. Congress on Saturdays. How do I find them and sign up? Looking for venues to sell prints at before the holidays. Any ideas you have would be greatly appreciated!

• Susan said:

I really love the quilt. It’s beautiful.

• Kirsten said:

Nothing wrong with a little creative inspiration! The quilt is fantastic! I love the way the colors are working.

• megan said:

I love that color combination. You have a great eye. :)

• maryse said:

picasso had his blue period…

• Nadia said:

Very purdy!

• NessieNoodle said:

sure your clever- those are lovely colors and your brain must be in some sort of fall mode…
    the blue sky, the orange trees, the brown world readying for winter’s nap.
    funny how we get into a color scheme without realizing it… I like to look in my closet and take note of what colors I have going- lots of orange lots of blues. mmmm warm and cool and yummy.

• Abbe said:

The muse comes in many forms eh? I love the quilt.
    Are you involved with this? http://www.stitchaustin.com/
    just seemed up your alley

• FinnyKnits said:

Your wristlets have become so prevalent that they’re now working through your subconscious mind. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiird! Cute ass quilt, too :)

• Karen said:

Is there really such a thing as an original color combination? I think it’s lovely!

• Iris said:

That is so beautiful – I love the calm feel that the unicoloured surround to the fabric patches creates. In fact, I feel quite inspired to make one myself… :-)

• Kelli said:

Love love love those wristlets Caro!

• Amy said:

Well, regardless – it is wonderful. I love your take on the pattern and the colors, original or not.