Home » knitting, socks, stash

Socktoberfest begins!

2 October 2006 1,485 views 8 Comments

Vesper_hankVesper_needlecase_2Vesper_ballLast October I wasn’t yet a sock knitter (oh how I have seen the folly of my ways) but this year I am gung ho for Socktoberfest (along with over 1500 other knitters!) With perfect timing, my new skein of Vesper sock yarn arrived (Strange Little Mama colourway.) It’s hard to get your hands on the Vesper because it sells out so fast, but when you do, it’s worth the wait. Pink, black and red is one of my favourite colour combos so at this point I’m thinking these socks will be for me*. I’m going to try out the Dublin Bay pattern (PDF is here) after seeing Good to be Girl’s WIP photo. They look fantastic.

*I had considered working these up for one of my best friends for her birthday, but she’s just moved to Australia from Vancouver so she’s going into summer. I hardly think she’ll need wool socks in Sydney for Christmas; I’ll have to come up with an alternative present. It’s her birthday today, so go wish her a happy birthday (or take her out for a beer if you’re in Sydney – I’ll sponsor!) Have manybeers Melmel and pretend they’re all from me. Mwah!

• jennifer w. said:

Socktoberfest – love it! Maybe I should finally try to do a pair this month. Sounds like I will be easily converted. Can you recommend a good beginner’s pattern that is online? The pattern you are planning to use looks awesome, and your yarn is just gorgeous.

• Amber said:

Oooh I love this yarn! I can’t wait to see how the socks come out!

• Mia said:

Caro, it is so funny that you are making your Socktoberfest socks using those colors! I am making mine using a colorway called Rock Star from Sunshine Yarns. And the colors are almost the same. I have light pink, really dark almost red pink, and black. I am making mine just a simple toe up no pattern sock. I want to show off the striping of this sock yarn.

• carole said:

hey, it’s “my” colorway! I love it when people knit with it, it stripes wonderfully! Now, I just need to get around to knitting my skein!

• melmel said:

Thanks lady! OK – so I don’t need socks when it’s already 28 degrees in spring. But I might think of a request later!

• poeticpurl said:

Good sock taste.

• AJ said:

Gorgeous color combo! Can’t wait to see them finished!

• Lolly said:

Those colors are perfect Caro, and you said they are your favorite combo, so of course you keep them! :) and that needle case is adorable!
    Thank you so much for being a part of all of this!