Home » needle cases, sewing, shop update

a home for my hooks

9 October 2006 1,363 views 15 Comments

Grandma_f_and_sisters_1
Hook_case_closed
Hook_case_open
I spent yesterday afternoon pretending it was fall. I wasn’t feeling well, so I put on some comfy housepants, tucked my feet into some slippers and made-believe the A/C pumping was actually a stiff autumn wind. The truth of it was the temperature was still in the 30s (high 80’s) and we’ve had barely a hint of fall. Not perfect Thanksgiving weather, but a girl can pretend.

A few months back, Mum had sent a care package of fabric and notions that I started sorting out and putting away yesterday. Included in the box were some of my grandmother’s well-used crochet hooks (that’s her on the left with her sisters.) My aunt had taught me to crochet when I was 10 or so as Gram couldn’t see so well anymore but for some reason, the crochet bug didn’t bite. Could it have been the endless hours of granny squares in fluorescent pink and yellow variegated acrylic? Most likely. At any rate, my Grandma’s hooks needed a place of their own in my sewing room and yesterday afternoon I made one. I’d been saving the mod red and pink fabric for just the right project and I think this was it. If you’d like a variation of your own, they’re in the shop and I’ll also be donating a couple as Socktoberfest prizes.

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving!

• NessieNoodle said:

love the picture of the gals!
    sounds like you made the best of your pretend autumn day…

• Abbe said:

I love that fabric. And rumor is we might have a touch of fall this week.

• Kelli said:

Awesome. Love the fabric choice and that top photo is so great!

• meg said:

that fabric is fabulous.
    i absolutely love old photos like that. what a great shot of those ladies.

• Susan said:

Happy Thanksgiving, Caro! And you know, you’ll be able to wear socks on Thursday without sweating. Woo hoo!

• Sasha said:

Ooo, pretty! Love that fabric!

• BrownPants said:

Fabulous crochet hook case and photo! Love it!

• jodi said:

Happy Thanksgiving, Caro. It’s bloody hot here too, and even though I got up thinking, it’s Thanksgiving Day! Fall! I can wear corduroy trousers and handknit wool socks!, sadly it was not so. The socks are in my satchel now. I shoulda known.
    What’s happening on Thursday? Are you going somewhere cold?

• yahaira said:

what a great way to keep your hooks tidy, it’s gorgeous!
    and I love the picture of your grandmother and her sisters, they look like they would be so fun to hang out with

• Amy said:

I got your fall right here lady. It’s been in the 30s at night and I have a pile of unfinished sweaters lying around–the grass is always greener I guess.
    Nice hook book thing. I need something like that for my circulars–they’re a lethal looking mess right now.

• Julia said:

Man those are really cute! I wish that one or two would actually handle my needle issues. I think it would take 20. Hey are you gonna do the Stalker Angie gig on Saturday? It starts at 11, at Opel Devines.

• AmyDe said:

Wish I had me some of that fab pink fabric. It’s very cool. You always have the best ideas and GREAT execution. Thanks for sharing!

• maryse said:

hey, it was 80 degrees here on monday!
    i love the picture of your grandmother and her sisters. and the crochet book. that’s awesome.

• FinnyKnits said:

Not to be a big fat ruiner, but I’ve been using the needle case you made me as a house for my crochet hooks too. I won’t lie, it’s getting crowded in there. But I love it so much! It’s absolutely the best way to organize and stash your knitting/crocheting tools. I need another one. Perhaps I wander to the shop…

• Anonymous said:

i LOVE THAT PHOTO OF MY MOM AND HER SISTERS! this is my first time reading your blog. I’ll be a regular from now on. Donna