Home » husband sweaters, knitting

29 December 2006 1,302 views 36 Comments

Sm_sweater_finished
Sm_sweater_coffee_gaze Sm_sweater_back_shoulder
Sm_sweater_collar
Sm_sweater_cuffs
Sm_sweater_shoulder
Two months to the day after I cast on, the Husband Sweater is off the needles and I love it! The fit is almost perfect. Next time I’ll make the arms shorter by an inch or so, but other than that it’s a knockout. I probably could have knit it in half the time if I hadn’t had to rip from the shoulders back to the underarms. Then I reknit one of the saddles twice; I was a perfectionist with this sweater, I wanted it to be worthy of the Husband.

The Project Details

Pattern: Elizabeth Zimmermann’s Seamless Hybrid from Knitting Without Tears

Yarn:
Cascade 220 in colours 9459 (the heathery tobacco-ish green) and 4002 (charcoal) for the inner cuffs. I think it took 5.5 hanks? Maybe 6. I can’t find the original receipt, so I’m not sure how many I started with.

Needles:
Size 8 bamboo

Started:
October 28, 2006
Completed: December 28, 2006

Modifications:
According to EZ’s directions, I knit the t-shirt yoke. You knit one saddle, bind off half the stitches and continue knitting the half saddle across the back and graft it to the second saddle. It makes the back of the sweater a little higher than the front. You may remember that there was going to be a gray cross on the front as well, but I’ve scrapped it for now. I may duplicate stitch it in later on, we’ll see.

Final Verdict:
I love it! The Husband has been wearing it since the photoshoot, so I’d say it was worth waiting for.

• Amy Mac said:

FABULOUS!
    Congratulations! It looks fantastic!

• Kim said:

It’s so gorgeous. The perfect sweater!

• Areli said:

Wow! That’s really amazing. I think it’s one of the nicest sweaters for a guy I have seen.

• Allegra said:

Beautiful job! I think I see a sweater in my husband’s future.

• isel said:

It’s perfect! Love the details.

• Dianna said:

I agree that your Husbeast’s sweater is one of the finest examples of a man’s sweater I’ve ever seen. Your details, including the contrasting color inside hems and collar, are perfection. You deserve to be proud!

• Debbie said:

OOOOooooOOOOoooohhh, what a handsome sweater. I’m going to show this to my mister. He’s very particular and I think he could go for this! Beautiful job, love the secret colors tucked inside the cuffs and collar.

• Scoutj said:

Ohhhh that’s awesome!

• jennifer w. said:

How manly! (I would say beautiful, but that doesn’t sound right describing a man’s sweater). What a wonderful accomplishment!

• michael said:

It looks positively genius. Bravo.

• AmyDe said:

GORGEOUS!!! I love it too! It looks great on too – you are right it’s perfect! I can’t wait for the new episodes of Uncommon Threads either – it’s so very cool! I have a Jo Sharp sweater on the list for my hubby, but after that I might just make him one of these.

• Jeanine said:

I’ve been going back and forth in trying to decide whether to make this for DS#2. Now, there’s no question after seeing yours. Which looks great. Now to find the right color/yarn to get started.

• Zarah said:

Congrats! Knitting a sweater that a guy loves is NOT THAT EASY!

• Karma said:

You deserve a trophy for this one. It’s a perfect husband sweater. The color, the fit, etc., are fabulous and… he’s wearing it?!?!? WOW! haha That’s what’s always held me back from knitting anything for my husband. He’s so picky. But I really do think he would like an EZ Hybrid. And if he didn’t, I would definitely wear it for him. :)

• Susan said:

That looks so great! Especially the hem- turn down in the accent color! Wow. Very professional. You should be proud!

• s t a c i said:

I’m about 3/4 of the way through this sweater now, and I love the recipe. (I bought the book after seeing how nicely yours was coming out.) I am, however, having difficulty fitting the saddle shoulders to Chris. I’ve ripped it back once, and now I’ve downgraded to raglan. :( I think top-down might be the answer for his future sweaters.
    But your’s is a perfect fit! I’m going to have to fight the urge to rip back and try the saddle shoulder again. You’ve hit a home run here!

• allison said:

What a perfect sweater!
    Love the accent colour too…

• BlackRayne said:

I love it. When I first saw that pattern knitted up (I think it was in burgundy and on another blog a while back) I knew it would be perfect for my husband, who is near impossible to fit (a raglan would work, but I like the look of this one much better than a basic raglan). I will have to add it to my list to knit in 2007, especially since I just showed these photos to him and he likes it a lot.

• Abbe said:

Wow Caro! That is true classic.

• Kelli said:

Good for you! That sweater looks fantastic. And I am so, so sorry we didn’t get to meet up. I hope your ankle is feeling better and I’m wishing the very best for you in 2007.

• kelp! said:

Wow, it turned out perfect! I really like the tshirt yoke action going on in the front. I think that I see on of these sweaters in my knitting future…

• AJ said:

Absolutely beautiful! Definitely worth the wait if he’s wearing it out already! :) Happy New Years!

• Lolly said:

Amazing! It looks so great on him – perfect fit, and just his style too. Wonderful product, Caro dear!

• Christine said:

This makes me so glad that I got that book for Christmas. I can’t wait to read more of it.
    Can you e-mail me when you get a moment? Which TV show are you going to be on? Any word on air date yet? (I’m trying to make sure I have the Tivo set and that I haven’t missed it.)

• Mandy said:

Fantastic! It looks absolutely perfect. :)

• stacey said:

that is amazing. it looks like it fits perfectly!!!!!!

• meg said:

looks perfect! cannot wait to start on this one for D. you’re so talented, lady.

• diana said:

It is perfection! What a wonderful job you did. I hope he wears it til it’s threadbare.

• Sara said:

that sweater looks beautiful! and i love your photos.

• Kirsty said:

What a beautiful job! It’s stunning. Well done.

• finnyknits said:

Holy crap! That is freaking awesome!
    And aren’t you a champ for making it all perfecto for Husband. He is a lucky man :)

• Elena said:

Wow, what a really really awesome sweater!

• Elphingirl said:

This is a beautifully classic and elegant design – my pertner should be so lucky! It is just the kind of thing I would choose for him. Great work, and excellent colour choice.

• Anne-Caroline said:

It’s a great great sweater! In fact, I don’t own the book, but just seeing the sweater is inspiring me. How is the piece constructed?

• Sasha said:

I keep looking at your version of this sweater and at BrooklynTweed’s and I think I am going to have to make this sweater. Great work, it looks so fabulous! Any advice for someone that has only knit toddler sweaters?

• Princess Pumpkin said:

This jumper is really interesting. I really like the saddle design and the contrast colour bands on the inside. Great work!