Home » uncommon threads

excited!

23 January 2007 1,352 views 25 Comments

214491609_2a40c62ff3
214560211_76a0075cf7
Are you ready for the big one? The episode of Uncommon Threads where I demonstrate how to make a crafty bucket airs Wednesday morning on HGTV! I’m excited! (And nervous! It’s tomorrow!)

I first made the bucket two years ago as a stop gap for the knitting supplies mess in our living room. Since then I’ve been asked a couple times to write up a tutorial for it, but because I didn’t make any notes and kind of winged it (and I’m sort of lazy,) I didn’t ever follow through. When DIY came knocking this was one of the projects they jumped at so I had to figure out exactly how I made it. It took me a couple of head scratches to write it up but it was just the kick in the pants I needed for the tutorial. Thanks for all the support, I’m ecstatic that y’all are watching it with me! (And thanks Marisa for letting borrow these backstage and behind the scenes photos!)

If anybody makes a crafty bucket, be sure to let me know so I can add a photo to the reader gallery.

• Stacey said:

I’ll be sure to catch it when I get home tomorrow…I DVR it daily. You seeemd like quite the natural, not nervous at all on the last segment. Sorry you’ll be leaving our fair state, but I too miss the seasons. Thanks for the picture taking tips too, since the flash on my camera is not so hot I rely on natural light.

• Courtney said:

I’m going to go set my DVR now. I know the show has already been taped, but for some reason I’m compelled to say Good Luck!

• Nicole said:

Hey Caro – I’ve just posted this over at whipup. Nice work!

• Scoutj said:

I can’t wait to see it!

• Carrie said:

Good luck! …even though you already taped it

• LaBean said:

I don’t have cable here so I don’t get to see your show :(. But Congrats!!!
    ThangQ for the ‘tute’ on pic backgrounds… Posterboard, here I come!!

• maryse said:

excellent! i’ll have the vcr set. this is one of my favorite projects of yours.

• jennifer perkins said:

I just saw a picture of the bucket on Whip Up and it looked amazing. I’m sure you guys are going to look awesome tomorrow!

• Karma said:

You are fast becoming a TV celeb! I’ll be sure to check my DVR tomorrow. That looks like a fun project…

• Chris said:

That’s a brilliant idea!

• stacey said:

I set the TiVo! :)

• meg said:

I can’t wait to get home and watch it this evening. I’m going to have to make one for myself.

• Julia said:

I so want to make a bucket – in fact, I think I’ll run out to the thrift shop today and get a giganto pair of old jeans cuz I want a big-ass bucket. I just want to know where to get the really cool fabrics (locally) that you manage to find.

• Jane said:

I just wanted to say THANK YOU. I am new to Sewing and Knitting. This basket is great. I just finished watching the show and I am looking through the fabric I bought this weekend. I am going to make this basket in various sizes for my family. My oldest niece was with me watching the show and started begging for us to make it. So here we go I will send you a picture as soon as were done. Thanks again.

• Nanc said:

Thanks to Christine’s earlier post, I set my STiVo to catch it! How exciting!

• Jennifer said:

I’m so happy we now have a DVR!

• Susan said:

Hey Caro- I set the recorder so I can watch this evening. I don’t sew, but I like your bucket. Hey – I just like your style.

• Pam said:

Your episode was great, very cool!!

• Valerie said:

You were fabulous on TV – my daughter and I watched it together. I told her the lady who made our cute coin purse things was going to be on TV and she was very impressed!! And we loved the project – way cute, and you were so darned professional!!
    Well done!

• Nanc said:

Okay, I finally watched this episode and you were GREAT! (I’m not thrilled about the hostess — every time she said “craft” I wanted to use my knitting needles like weapons.) And hey, your instructions were clear and concice — I might actually make this bucket!

• Stacey said:

Great job on the tube! Where’s your Canadian accent? I moved here from DC 10 years ago and when I go back strangers think I am actually FROM here….happens to everyone I think. Thank you for demystifying the bucket for me. I’ve been knitting a couple years, but just recently picked up sewing for the first time since 8th grade home economics class. I bought some great home fabric at Ikea and think it would be perfect. I think my sisters and mother each need one. Finally a use for all those pairs of jeans I will not be squeezing into anytime soon.

• Cathi said:

I finally caught this one! Hooray for (insert your favorite superlative) Austin crafters!

• deb said:

well aren’t you a hot mama! I watched it! Fabulous!

• kelp! said:

I finally saw the show – awesome! The bucket idea is pretty cool, I like the slide-in bottom and that it requires very little sewing!

• Angela said:

Congrats (the teevee thing AND the move!). Oh how I wish our VCR worked…