Home » sewing

discovered! sort of

2 March 2007 2,260 views 24 Comments

Bibs_and_labels_1
Mini_wallets_1206_sm_1
Sm_splityarn_labels
In mid 2004, recommended by another blog, I came across Name Maker labels. It was an extravagance at the time, but I thought it would be fun to have labels to put in my handknits and my sewing projects so I ordered up a small batch. The first time I sewed one into something that I had made, I was hooked. There’s a funny little thrill that I get sewing MY NAME into my project. I suppose it’s ego stroking, but I like it just the same.

It’s odd because I’ve had a post about the labels in draft for a few months now but I never pulled the trigger to publish it because the timing didn’t seem quite right. I have no idea what I was waiting for, but this week it all fell into place. Yesterday I was contacted by Name Maker (!) and asked if they could use some of my photos to help promote a contest they’re going to have in April. They are going to have people submit pictures of how they are using Name Maker products. Mine are the ones that they’re using to get the contest up and running. I’m so excited! Check it out! Those are my mini wallets featured on the front page!

Now I know why I waited to hit ‘post!’

• seedless grape said:

This is very cool! Do you use the same labels for your knitted things, too?
    How awesome to be the person whose photos are used for their contest! That’s really great!

• meg said:

Caro, that rocks! You are always getting discovered for things. How freaking cool.

• Abbe said:

Neato! I love your little labels. They should totally send you some freebies for using your images.

• Miriam said:

Thanks for posting about this! I had some labels that say ‘hand knit by Miriam Felton” or somesuch… but they are totally not my style and way too big, so I’m going to order some others that just say by Mim. :) And that should be perfect. Thanks again!

• Jody said:

That is so totally cool! I love your wallets and especially loved the labels – you deserve it – they are gorgesou! COngrats!

• mari said:

Yippee! Congratulations! I’ve always thought your labels were super cute, and I’m glad that you are getting recognition.

• Cathi said:

I can’t believe that there’s anyone that hasn’t discovered you by now. :)

• kate said:

Congrats they look great.

• Chris said:

Congrats!!!
    Hey, is your hubby up here right now, enjoying our 15″ of snow??

• Gothknits said:

Congrats! You should be discovered. Your photos are beautiful!

• splatgirl said:

Oh Caro! That is just fab!
    I’ve been thinking of getting labels made for years but I’ve never been able to deal with the idea of spending all the $$ on them. You’ve made me reconsider.
    Those wallets are just adorable, and even cuter with the labels!

• Jenn said:

That is so cool! The picture & wallets are gorgeous. Congratulations!

• stacey said:

No kidding – yesterday I was thinking about e-mailing you to get your hook up because they are so cute!

• zilya said:

That’s so cool. The photo looks great on the Name Maker website.

• Scoutj said:

Congratulations! That’s so cool!

• Carrie said:

COngratulations! How exciting!

• Oiyi said:

Congrats! That is way cool!

• Shelley said:

Wow, that is awesome! You must be so proud!

• Nanc said:

That’s super! I love your labels, they look so professional and clean.
    BTW – I totally made a ‘Caro package’ as a birthday gift to Chris (http://www.skittermagoo.com). I made a crafty bucket and a wallet using your directions. I’ll have to send you pictures when I get a chance. But I wanted to say thanks for the patterns and fun!

• leslie said:

That is awesome………they look great! Glad you waited for “the post”! :)

• Lady S said:

That is very cool!

• Jan said:

How exciting! I’m not surprised they chose your photo…their lables look great against you colorful (and meticulously crafted) items. Congratulations!

• Jill said:

First time posting…
    That is great that they are usuing your photo! Nothing like free advertising! :) Looks great! I really enjoy your blog. You are very talented and inspiring!!!

• FinnyKnits said:

Fancy lady! You’re all over the friggen place these days! I love seeing your credit card holders splashed all over the Name Maker sight -hello celebrity Caro – tee hee. I got all excited when I read this thinking, “Yay! I’ve finally found a place to get my custom labels!” No. They don’t offer orange thread either. WHY NO ORANGE PEOPLE? Ugh. The search goes on…