Home » knitting, socks

sixth socks finished

5 April 2007 7,600 views 31 Comments

Sm_str_monsoon_feetSm_str_monsoon_w_coffeeBefore I turned the heel on the second Cable Rib sock, I had the Husband try the first one on to ensure a good fit for a man’s foot. He commented on their squooshyness (although I think he used a different term) and said, "you know, down the road I’d like a pair of socks like these. They feel great." My heart raced a little. Did he just slide in a request for handknit socks? Holy freakin’ moses, I’d better get knitting. I didn’t want this opportunity to pass me by. While I finished the rest of the foot on the second sock, I kept thinking about his request. What yarn? What pattern? Should I make them kickin’ around the house socks like these? Do I make something that he could wear with his Docs? What colour? So many choices!

After the photo shoot he took them off and lamented, "these were for Dad? ‘Cause you know, I realllllly like them, and they fit, and they’re good on the tile floors, and, and, and…"
And as it turns out these are his perfect socks. I don’t have to decide on a yarn or pattern at all. They were intended for his father’s birthday back in January, but the recipient will be the son and not the dad. Who can resist a plea for handknits from a Husband? Sorry FIL, you’ll have to wait for the next pair.

Sm_str_monsoon_leg_backs_3
Pattern:
Erica Alexander’s Cable Rib Socks from Favorite Socks
Yarn: Socks That Rock Medium Weight in Monsoon, from the Rockin’ Sock Club kit.
Needles: Size 2 US (3.0mm) KnitPicks DPNs
Started: March 1st, 2007
Finished: April 1st, 2007
Final Verdict: I wouldn’t knit these socks to wear with shoes, the cable is too thick. It creates a big ‘ol bump that would press on your foot. If I knit these again, I’ll rework how the cable twists when you rejoin for the gusset. Knit the way it’s written half the cable disappears and then is picked up with a different rib. I like my cables to have a proper start and end.

And because I know it will be asked, his tattoos
are Edward Gorey drawings. Mr. Mistoffelees on the left and the Doubtful Guest on the right.

• miss ewe said:

They *are* perfect on him! I’m sure FIL will understand… I love it when men finally understand how great knitting is! (even just for a second)

• Adrienne said:

They look FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Mandy said:

Your husband has Edward Gorey tattoos. That’s… that’s just hot. 😉

• Melody said:

Great socks… great tattoos. FIL will understand..it is his son after all :)

• Claire said:

Nice socks! I’ve always gotten all warm and squishy inside when DH takes to something I’m knitting.

• Sea Anemone said:

I love the socks. The color knit up so nicely.
    But I love the tattoos more. I made a *squee* noise when I saw them. I adore Gorey. Adore.

• Chris said:

Aw, that’s very sweet! Is your hubby a cyclist? That’s a favorite place for cyclists to get tattoos.

• knitopia said:

There’s a “Doubtful Guest” movie in the works: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070405/film_nm/gorey_dc

• meg said:

me loves the doubtful guest so much. what a fantastic tattoo.
    those socks came out so great. i agree about the squooshiness. makes me want to get some socks that rock, muchly.

• Karma said:

Excellent! Perfect! I’m always very excited when husbands/boyfriends/et cetera are happy with the handknits. Mine likes to hint that he’d like something, but he’s way too picky for me to even entertain the thought. He prolly wouldn’t wear what I spent so much time on! So… congrats on making the Mr. so happy with his handknit socks. I like the colorway you chose, very manly.

• kelp! said:

Lucky you – I made a pair of socks for my husband, and he maybe wore them all of once. I’ll have to be more sneaky about it next time, making something for someone else that he just has to fall for!

• alice said:

funny, a male friend of mine was over and reading over my shoulder. now he wants ME to make a pair for him. the conversation went like this:
    *wow those are awesome! way complicated!
    a*not at all, i could totaly do that. (my undoing.)
    *…reeeeally?
    a*yeah… c’mon, two cables, that’s nothing!
    *can… iiiiii have a pair?
    a*damn.

• Oiyi said:

Fabulous socks! I love the colorway. Very manly.

• stacey said:

awwww – it is awfully hard to turn down a sock request from a hubby….mine always longingly looks at the pair I’m knitting and asks when i’m making a pair for him! Those are great – did you knit them as the book presented them (with the goofy cable)? I think I may see a hint of what you mean in one of the pictures (where it looks like the cable is just starting after the gusset)

• Ingrid said:

I love those socks! I just might have to knit some for my hubby.

• s t a c i said:

Did you title this post as a tounge-twister? Try saying “sixth socks” ten times, fast.
    The socks are great and your photos are outstanding. I can actually feel the smooshiness of the STR on my feet as I look at them.

• FinnyKnits said:

HA! As soon as Bubba said he wanted a new ski hat it was all I could do not to run full bore to the yarn shop to pick out the perfectest yarn and pattern.
    Nicely done Best Wife.

• Meadow said:

I love those socks!
    What a great wife :)

• Adam said:

Glad to hear that hubby is discovering the joys of handknit socks. They look great, I’ll have to try that pattern!

• Valerie said:

Love the socks! The only thing my husband has asked me to knit was a cover for his Sirius radio in camoflage – hey, we gotta start somewhere!!

• donna said:

Edward Gorey tattoos may very well be just what it takes to lead me astray from my own spouse, but I am guessing with a wife that makes him wonderful handknit socks Mr. Splityarn is quite content where he is 😎

• Julia said:

They are fab perfect socks. How I wish Tom would ask for a pair. He has 2 pair I knit him almost 14 years ago. I’m sure the FIL won’t mind. Especially given the calendar. Of course, the weather is no indication of the season. Very nice manly socks.

• alison said:

Awesome socks. Lucky man.

• Plum Texan said:

I’m cracking up because I didn’t have to look far to see if Sea Anemone caught the Gorey tattoos. I too think they’re awesome (as are the socks!)…
    “And we all say: OH!
    Well I never!
    Was there ever
    A Cat so clever
    As Magical Mr. Mistoffelees!”

• DebbieKnitter said:

Love the socks!! I wanted to stop by and tell you Happy Easter!!

• KnittingHawkeye said:

Lovely work on the socks! I adore fatigue coloured things. I have my Lorna Laces fatigue sock yarn I need to knit up. I also like your hubby’s choice of tattoos. My upper back is completely covered with a fantasy scene & a fairy on my lower back. =) Love your blog! <3

• Zarah said:

Very nice – I don’t think I’ve ever seen STR stripe like that.

• Susan said:

OMG – Edward Gorey tats are not *just* hot they’re way, way, way better than that. So – – a brilliant knitter who can design & construct almost anything AND a woman who had the supreme intelligence to marry a man w/ Edward Gorey tattoos? Niiiicceeeee………….. (She says as she has a ‘I want to be Caro despite all the drywall dust’ moment……….)

• africankelli said:

Giddyup. I think you are so smart to jump on the request to hand over the knitted socks. It is a rare request indeed! And those tattoos are sweet. How is the move going?

• Jodi said:

What gorgeous socks, and what awesome tattoos! I’ve never seen any Edward Gorey tattoos before — it’s almost enough to make me head out to the tattoo parlor.

• Nanc said:

You can’t deny the socks when they find their proper recipient. Good for you – and yay for husband.
    Ooh – and his tattoo are neat. We’re big Gorey fans, too, and its nice to know that I can admire the artwork on the body as well as paper (book).