Home » knitting, socks

getting it done

15 May 2007 1,395 views 26 Comments

Sm_austin_sky
Sm_morning_knitting
Sm_2nd_embossed_leaf
I’m generally strict with myself when it comes to sock projects. I know that I would readily fall victim to Second Sock Syndrome if I didn’t limit myself to one pair on the needles a time (although that doesn’t explain why I have 4 pairs of size one needles.) I cast on for the first Embossed Leaves (from Favorite Socks) on April 4th and finished it two weeks later. The second sock? It took me three weeks to finish just the twisted rib cuff.

Fearing that it might languish in the bottom of my knitting bag for another month, this morning I poured some coffee and took the sock outside. The weather in Texas is steadily heating up and soon time outside midday will not be feasible. This morning at 32°C (89°F) the backyard was perfect and I want to enjoy it while I can. I drank my coffee, took some photos and finally finished the leg of the second sock.

• chris said:

Gorgeous! I have that pattern in my queue, but I gotta finish four-or-so other pair first (oh, the second-sock-syndrome . . .)
    And 89F is “perfect”? ACK! I think that’s way too hot for outside sitting — 75F is sooo much more pleasant (not that I’ll see that until Fall here in Dallas).

• chris said:

Also, I forgot to tell you that I love your coffee cup!

• pamela wynne said:

looking good — this is such a beautiful pattern! And I also love your coffee cup. :)

• LaBean said:

Wow. I was also outside this morning with a light breeze blowing through.. Was working on HAT(don’t ask). It still isn’t all that hot except for being in direct sunlight; thankfully there were benches with shade in the park. the little people had a ball. I wish I’d grabbed my cam before leaving thehouse..

• Chris said:

Pretty – sort of coffee-colored, actually. Wow, 89F is perfect? Minnesotans are starting to look a little melted around the edges at that temp!

• stacey said:

what a wonderful way to start a day!

• Mona said:

Hi–I am trying to make the embossed leaves pattern from the favorite socks. I am not certain I have the cast on right and can’t find any help online. Did you have any problems or have any pointers on the cast on?

• roni said:

Yeah for backyard knitting, my fav! The socks look lovely, please do tell what yarn (and color!!) is that??

• danielle said:

What a beautiful way to spend your morning. I – for one – am jealous!

• meg said:

glad you got past that cuff but man this 89 BS is way too hot already!

• Nadia Lewis said:

Oh, I love those socks! I definitely agree with the commenters who say that 32 is frickin’ hot!

• FinnyKnits said:

You make the most amazing looking socks, but I have to ask, in that heat, who is wearing all of these? Does Hubby really wear socks ALL the time? Incred – love it.

• Spiffy Knits! said:

Lovely sock! I need that book, but a cup of hot coffee and 89 degrees in the AM?! That is just nasty. THe native New Englander can’t take anything over 85! My DH and I are planning on moving *further* north ASAP. I think I would spontaneously combust in Texas!

• kelp! said:

Yikes, I’m definitely in full sweat-and-complain mode at 89 degrees. What yarn are you using? It’s gorgeous!

• stacey said:

I love the Embossed Leaves Pattern – I have made one and a half pair…my second sock just isn’t getting on the needles. It is a catchy little lace pattern though and I love the twisted rib cuff! Good luck with your s :)econd-sock-itis.

• AmyDe said:

Yay for you! I feel the same way about only one pair at a time. Lately the only way I finish anything is to only have one project at a time. It’s amazing how quickly it seems we knit when only working on one thing at a time. LOVE the mug! 89 degrees is pretty nice for SITTING outside – don’t try to move, you’ll melt!

• Lolly said:

The socks look stunning in that pattern, dear. Absolutely love them :)

• pamela said:

I can’t even begin to try to make socks, but yours look lovely.
    I am absolutely in love with your coffee cup.

• Karen said:

That pattern is so pretty in that colorway. I hate to ask how hot it was about 2 in the afternoon.

• Julia said:

It warms my heart to hear you say that an 89F degree backyard is perfect. You’re acclimating whether you like it or not. And I do love those socks.

• terhi said:

We get 89°F weather here in Finland in the middle of the summer, if ever. It’s really, really hot for me. The sock looks lovely!

• Suzanne V. said:

See–that’s why I don’t live in Texas. At 89 degrees, I am nothing but a puddle of misery huddles over the nearest air conditioner, moaning about ice cubes and margaritas. (By the way, do you know the source of the quote, “If I owned both hell and Texas, I’d live in hell and rent out Texas”?)

• Meredith said:

Wow, that sounds like a really nice way to spend the morning! And that coffee cup is really cute! Where’d you find it?
    The sock looks fantastic too. I hear you about second sock syndrome. I’m finding it hard to motivate myself to finish the ones I’m working on now..hehe!

• maddie said:

I avoid the 2nd sock syndrome by knitting the first sock up to the heel flap, place it on sticth holder and start on the 2nd sock all the way through to the end and then finish the first one. lol

• Anonymous said:

I love that pattern and in that colorway it looks even prettier…wow! I really like that.

• Jill said:

Awesome photo! The sock yarn is beautiful