Home » stash

stash in, stash out

5 June 2007 15,847 views 9 Comments

Sm_yarn_pirate_magnolia_hank
Sm_yarn_pirate_magnolia_cake
Sm_yarn_pirate_magnolia
When I moved to Vancouver from Pemberton and Whistler, I downsized to 700 square feet of living with no storage space. I had to develop a rule: one item coming into the house meant two items had to go out. If I bought new noodle bowls, then it was time to take the old IKEA frames to the Sally Ann. A new skirt meant two pairs of snowboard pants went to consignment. I was good about preserving negative growth for almost two years.

Having thoroughly documented my stash over the last few weeks reminded me of this old rule. I know, I know, you’re laughing that I don’t have any stash to speak of, but unused yarn weighs on me. (If I haven’t bought yarn for a project yet, I can change the project and colours at will. I’m never bound by guilt to start something that doesn’t sing to me anymore.) So when I impulsively bought some Yarn Pirate two weeks ago, I harboured a little guilt. How can I bring in sock yarn when I have 3 or 4 projects queued ahead of it?

The happy solution? I offered up a few leftovers for sale and before you could say "First Class International Mail," I was down one skein of Lorna’s Laces and a half ball of Kidsilk Haze. Welcome lovely Yarn Pirate (in Sweet Magnolia,) snuggle up to the Scout’s Swag yarn, you’re here to stay for a while.

• maryse said:

hmmmm. i need to do that. ha!

• stacey said:

what a great idea! I try to do that for things like furniture where we just don’t have the room to store much, but I should mandate the rule for everything!

• chris said:

Wow, that’s great! I wish I could institute negative growth like that . . . it would take a lot of willpower on my part, I think.
    Also, that yarn? Love it, and can’t wait to see what it looks like all knit up!

• Abbe said:

Nice looking stuff, worthy of an exception to the 1 in 2 out rule.

• Emma said:

How could you NOT find room for such lovely yarn?

• katrin said:

Oh, if this yarn couldn’t be called “yummy” I don’t know which to call so. Wonderful colorway!

• pamela wynne said:

great rule — and gorgeous yarn!

• Susan said:

Ka-Rap!!!!
    Another Yarn Pirate colorway to lust after.
    I recently got my hands on Culture Club after coming across it on another blog and now…..(big, huge sigh) MUST get Sweet Magnolia.
    Lucky You 😉
    ** Your Hanami Stole is breath taking! **

• Sarah said:

Oh, I like that – one thing in, two out rule. I live in 950 sq feet with a hubby, daughter a dog and a cat. Must implement- thanks for the idea.