Home » quilting

choices

23 July 2007 2,330 views 19 Comments

Brown_coin_quilt_2
Brown_coin_backing_choicesSummer in Austin is much more conducive to quilting than knitting. The thought of sitting under a hot task lamp with 3 feet of silk in my lap with the AC cranked is not very appealing. Consequently Hanami is hibernating for a few days while I resurrect an old quilting WIP.

The brown coin quilt I started last September has been hanging on the back of my studio door for 10 months now. This week I took it down, gave it a good press and finally sewed on the remaining border strips. The only decision I have left to make is which fabric to use for the backing. The red is a perfect colour match with the top, but I’m not jazzed about the busyness of the white flower repeats. The yellow-green doesn’t necessarily coordinate as well colour-wise, but it’s a more sophisticated print. I’m leaning towards the green, but I can’t make up my mind.

• Amy Mac said:

I vote for both!
    a la http://www.dioramarama.com/2006/06/quilt_back.html or http://losabia.wordpress.com/ or http://www.flickr.com/photos/mamaurchin/485753772/ or http://www.flickr.com/photos/buttonsmagee/428370338/in/set-72157600906408181/ (I love this!)
    Half and half, with a thin brown strip running through the center and may be a few other fabrics from the front?

• Deana said:

I was leaning towards the Red, but then saw the attachments up above, and I agree! both could make quite an interest backing. Especially if you have some pieces that bring in more of a solid red/pink and green items. Then ground it will some brown. Very need quite top!

• Donna said:

I’m glad to see I wasn’t the only one that found Hillary’s quilt riveting! Yours is both unique and lovely, and I’m in love with the idea of this project all over again. I vote for the green, by the way.

• pamela wynne said:

Oh, neat! I vote red, though I also like the idea of using both.

• FinnyKnits said:

Green Green!!
    So awesome. I can’t wait to see the finished product!

• Jene said:

love the quilt top. i vote for neither. i think you need to go get something orangish. if you have to go with what you have then i pick green.

• Dotty said:

Go for the red. It’ll be fine on the back.

• isel said:

What Jene said.
    I love this piece.

• stressbug said:

Is that a monkey in a red hat or a gnome? I love gnomes…and my vote is for the green!

• Kristi said:

Wow, that is really beautiful

• gina said:

I third Jene’s suggestion – I think something orangey would be perfect!

• Ellen said:

I remember seeing this – love the finished product (well, almost finished!) I really like the windowpane effect – reminds me of stained glass. Not sure about either fabric for the backing. Although both are fabrics are great on their own, not sure if it complements all the effort that you’ve put into it. That said though…I’m leaning more towards the red, but…how about something in the chocolate brown family that will match the front? I think the front is so beautiful that the back should be just what you want and not something you have to talk yourself into.

• Christy / Not Hip said:

Beatiful I love all the aqua and deep brown together.
    I’m leaning towards that green backing.

• Nubiancraftster said:

Wow that looks great. Love the singular gnome in the quilt and the orange patch. I can’t stop looking at it. I just love it. For the backing I really like the red color.

• karrie said:

Oh man I love that quilt. I think the green backing is my favorite…

• alison said:

I’d probably go with the red because of the blue in that print, but I agree with other commenters — why choose just one?

• lindar said:

Green!!!!

• Amanda said:

I like the green, but either would be fine. It’s the back, so isn’t going to be right next to the front after all. :)

• Steph said: