Home » knitting

the best kind of WIP

1 August 2007 1,248 views 25 Comments

I’ve had a post in draft for months now about our move to Minnesota. I’m not getting any further on that post, so I’m just going to pull the tape off. We’re not going. It’s a long story for another time, but the move didn’t work out. I’m bummed that we won’t be living downtown in a walkable city but I can console myself with our finished house renovations and the knowledge that my knitting girls are still just around the corner. They’re always ready for a glass of wine at the drop of a needle.

One of the hardest parts about leaving Austin was going to be leaving my knitters. Our little group of 7 women was at the top of the list of reasons to stay in Texas. Friendships like these don’t come along every day and were worth considering. Thankfully I know I’m not alone in those feelings, because this weekend at our knitting retreat, the ladies presented me with the most incredible of knitterly gifts; handknits.

Sm_lr_stackedSm_lr_stack_cornerBack in the winter while I was preparing our house for moving and sale, my knitterly chicas were furiously working on squares of Lizard Ridge. That stack you see is enough for an entire afghan except for one solitary square. One square to be knit by me. It wasn’t supposed to work out that way; they wanted to knit and seam the whole thing, but you know what? I’m happy that they were short one. It makes me feel that our friendship is stronger knowing that I’m contributing to it as well.

Thank you my crazy ladies. Jene, Snowden, Amy, Abbe, Kristin, and Meg, I love you and I’m happy that I didn’t have to leave you after all.

• jenny r said:

Thanks for the update! I had kind of assumed something didn’t work out, but I figured that if you wanted to talk about it, you would have.

• meg said:

i am so glad we finally gave them to you and we get to keep you around.

• s t a c i said:

Yay! Hey – we’ll make Austin a walkable city. We’ll just walk, okay? I can even loan you a dog for the walks.
    I’m just so glad you’re staying. :)

• maryse said:

thank christ you finally talked about it! having to keep it a secret was killing me!!!
    ok, not really.
    the lizard is awesome.

• LaBean said:

I’ve cried once at a blog post today and you made me do it again. Thank you :) It’s sooo good to know you have dear friends to whom one means so much. I sometimes wonder if my friends like me as much as I like them. I’m sorry you won’t get to move, but then I’m glad you will at least have your best knitting buds. Cheers!

• Abbe said:

So glad you’ve stuck around, and so glad you get to do the seaming work, Haha! Much love!

• Kristin said:

I’m so glad you’re staying! And I love that Lizard Ridge is now a celebration blanket and that you get to contribute! Plus..seaming sucks..but I’ll help in exchange for wine

• jene said:

could you be any sweeter? thanks for the thanks…and enjoy knitting that last little scratchy-assed square!

• stressbug said:

Sh*t! I just cried reading your blog. I can’t knit worth anything (I can’t seem to go anywhere after casting on) and I don’t have a knitting group…but now I want one! And frackin’ beautiful squares!!

• Zarah said:

Wow – what an awesome gift. (Although I’m not sure that friends are supposed to give the “gift” of seaming that puppy. Not fun.) =)

• john said:

I love those colors. And how you have them all stacked up like newspapers. Thanks for the link, too. Now I know what will be eating up some more project time.

• chris said:

Dude! Even though I’m not one of your locals, I’m really glad you’re staying in Austin!! I was very sad at the prospect of no Caro at Kid-n-Ewe, etc.
    Now we just need to figure out how to make Texas smaller so that we can do more cross-city stuff — your group of seven with my group of nine! 😀

• FinnyKnits said:

Very, very awesome. Bummed your adventure fell through – but it sounds like your group of friends is worth hanging around for 😉

• janna said:

I was sort of looking forward to having you in Minneapolis, only about 3 1/2 hours from me here in Iowa City, but I did wonder, because you hadn’t said anything for so long. I will say that when you showed us the pictures of your home improvements, I wondered how you could leave them behind!

• Chris said:

I’m sorry you won’t be joining us! But glad that you have good friends down there that take such excellent care. :)

• PlazaJen said:

Awww, that is AWESOME! And I love that you get to put your part into it – and seam it all up into one big blanket of love.
    I :heart: my Lizard Ridge. And the crochet border is totally worth it – despite my lack of love for the crochet.

• dixie said:

That is such a super sweet crafty gift collaboration!

• africankelli said:

I am so glad you have such a great group! And I wouldn’t have wanted to leave those bathroom tiles either. Seriously! Your house is so cute.

• Catie P said:

what a cool idea, and i love the fact that you have a piece to knit too. yae for knitting friends!

• Li_B said:

I was wondering what was going on. Thanks for the update,
    Li

• Susan said:

Did you guys meet at knitflix?

• knitterista said:

and this is fabulous…what a treat and special friends…good to hear your still in Austin.

• Deb said:

What a lovely gift from friends!
    Too bad about your possible move to our lovely state of 10K LYSs! (forget about 10K lakes.)

• Christine said:

While I considered myself lucky because I could always hunt you down – uhm, I mean visit you – while visiting family up in Minnesota, I’m even more thrilled to say publicly that I’m glad that you’ll still be just down the road in Austin. That means I can see you much more often! (And you’re always welcome to visit H-Town too!)
    That is so beautiful that they made that for you – they are such wonderful people and you’re lucky to have them so close!

• stella from new zealand said:

what wonderful knit-buddies, it was kama that you stayed. and congrats on the yarnivale entry!