Home » FOs, knitting, socks

Pattern:
Mona Schmidt’s Embossed Leaves Socks from Favorite Socks
Yarn: Koigu KPPPM
Needles: Size 1.5 US (2.5mm) KnitPicks DPNs
Started: April 4th, 2007
Finished: August 18th, 2007
Final Verdict: Sorta meh. The cast-on used in the pattern is weird and non-stretchy and created a wobbly ridge that irks me. After you turn the heel you’re supposed to break the yarn and start knitting one needle back and that seemed goofy to me too. Why create another end to weave in if you don’t have to? I did it on one sock to determine if there was a benefit to doing it, but I didn’t find one.

I like the lace pattern, but if I were to knit these again, I’d do a regular cast on, non-twisted rib cuffs and an eye of partridge heel. If I’d modified the pattern to suit what I like in socks, these wouldn’t have taken 5 months to knit up. Should have listened to my gut.

Ravelry project details

• Chris said:

But they’re pretty, even if they were fussy and sort of annoying… Heh, I just substitute stitch patterns into my basic sock pattern and knit the same basic sock over and over…

• Frarochvia said:

They do look pretty! But yeah, I’m like Chris too….

• mari said:

I love those socks! I think the yarn goes perfectly with the pattern. But I agree with you, socks seem easier when you do the heel, cast on, and toe that you like. It’s the joy of knitting, getting so comfortable with certain techniques that they are like second nature!

• Jenny said:

Sorry if they were a pain to knit but the yarn looks great with that pattern!

• s t a c i said:

I think I’ve used that exact color of Koigu before!
    If I had only read your description (and not seen your photos) I would have expected icky socks. But these are gorgeous! I hope you forget about the “meh-ness” when it comes time to wear them!
    Hey – this is the first Ravelry link I’ve seen on a blog! Smart.

• Nora said:

I loved them as soon as I saw them on Flickr and found that exact colourway on eBay – although the seller’s photos don’t do it any justice!
    I know what you mean about the heel and cuff. I just did a normal k1tbl, p1 and I definitely did NOT cut the yarn at the heel – weird indeed.
    [I remember when the pattern first came out, every was echoing your thoughts, and the designer actually responded with an explanation - something about being 'unique'.]

• Janice said:

Pretty socks! Do you break the yarn where the top of the heel flap, gusset, & instep meet? If so it might be to create an end that you can use to close the hole that might occur at that junction. Just a guess.

• Sasha said:

Well they do look lovely! They are perfect late summer/fall socks. But I agree about pattern, I did a different cast on and I don’t like breaking the yarn and it seems like with a little planning you could skip this step. I do like the heel fine but I prefer a Kitchener stitch toe. But I do think that the leaf motif is so pretty!

• Zarah said:

All the weird cast-on and other instructions have kept me from knitting these socks… I’m glad to hear that they didn’t really make any difference. I’ll probably start a pair with the tried and true cast on and heel methods.

• janna said:

I thought exactly the same of the cast-on, which is why I didn’t use it. I wasn’t as confident about not breaking the yarn at the heel, so I did that, and had extra ends to weave in. And I actually liked the toe a lot — I’ll use it again!
    The yarn is gorgeous – I want some!

• Karma said:

If it’s any consolation at all, the socks turned out beautifully! So many people made them in green, it’s refreshing to see that warm handpainted brown colorway.

• jody said:

like everyone else, i think they look great even if they bugged you to make them. great yarn choice for the pattern, too.

• katrin said:

5 months?!
    they may have taken long and they may have driven you nuts, but they are beautiful!
    tempting… so very lovely socks… i may try them with your alterations some day.

• Grace said:

I knit these socks on panda cotton and at first tried the cast on method they suggested. ICK. I ripped it out and just did a long tail. I did do the twisted rib (I sort of like how the twisted stitches look) but when I saw that you were supposed to break the yarn for the heel, I thought WTF? I did not do that and no one is the wiser. I do think the stitch pattern is very pretty and I love the color of your koigu! Very pretty socks!

• chris said:

Ooooo, those are pretty! Thanks for the pattern notes, too — these are on my list, but I’m sure I will modify the pattern a bit, too. What’s with breaking the yarn, anyway? That’s just weird.

• stacey said:

I always wonder why a pattern says to break the yarn before the heel. WHY????? Yours came out cute though. I do like the little garter stitch detail.

• Jillian said:

I had the same questions when the pattern first came out re: the yarn breaking and the heel. I really like your finished version though.

• Suzanne V. (Yarnhog) said:

Ooooh–love those embossed leaves!

• finnyknits said:

While I find your socks beautiful, I am not sure you’re speaking English anymore. Eye of partridge? Heh? It appears Finny does not Knit as much as she’d like anymore. Your socks are lurvely.

• Julia said:

Love the yarn. Duh. And the pattern is pretty, but I wouldn’t have done the cuff that way either.

• isel said:

I’ve said it before and will say it again: all that weird casting on and yarn cutting is just crazy talk. What is the point? Nonetheless, I love your socks and that koigu makes them especially pretty and special. They look great.

• Beth said:

The socks are beautiful! I’ve never made socks but I could get inspired by those. They look like the kind to wear on a cold day while reading by the fire.

• Donna said:

Ooooh…so pretty!

• Scoutj said:

Well they look really pretty!!

• marjorie said:

I’ve always liked that pattern, and it is on my mental “to do” list, but I’ve printed your suggestions, which are very good ones, so I can modify the design when I finally get to it. I love the Koigu colorway, and the knitting looks beautiful

• Terry said:

Me too! I think your socks turned out well. And I’m currently working on them – skipped the weird cast on, did cut the yarn for the first sock but will not for the second one. Ha-ha! And I thought it was me thinking am I going batty? (Esp. since I’m somewhat new to sock knitting.) I’ll listen to you, shoulda and will follow my initial instincts.

• niqui said:

Great socks, ces chaussettes sont magnifiques !

• Heather said:

I just finished these and did the same cuff and not-breaking-the-yarn modifications and I was really happy with mine. I especially like the koigu color way you chose!

• Elizabeth said:

The yarn looks so pretty with it though! For what it is worth, I knit them with a regular cast-on and twisted rib and they looked fine.

• Allison said:

These look lovely, and that’s a nice yarn.
    I like the garter-edge heel, too. I was questioning it until I put the socks on and discovered that it was kind of a continuation from one of the leaves to the bottom of the sock, and it kinda highlights the shape of your heel: neat-o!
    RE: the weird cast-on, oh well, at least we’ve all learned a new technique. For what it’s worth :)
    I agree with doing the Kitchener stitch toe; I hate when that hole opens up over time, grrrr.

• Knitting Bandit said:

I really like your yarn choice. Very pretty. The pattern doesn’t get lost in it at all. Thanks for the “pattern notes”!

• Esther said:

How cool! I’ve been starting and restarting these socks multiple times now, trying to capture the laciness that I admired in the photo. The first yarn I used (a true sock yarn) with #2s just came out almost bulky and the lace wouldn’t stretch to show its lovely pattern of holes. Then I tried it again on #1s and it was marginally better. Then I switched to another finer yarn, a blend of corn fiber and nylon on #1s and it’s definitely better, but still not what I envisioned. I also abandoned the weird caston, mostly because it hurt my brain to do figure it out. I will finish this pair and hope they come out as lovely as yours.