Home » FOs, husband sweaters, knitting

another wardrobe staple

11 November 2007 1,338 views 21 Comments

Sm_hs_leafs Sm_off_the_needlesSm_hs_cuffsSm_hs_textingSm_hs_backThe first sweater I knit for The Husband was such a roaring success that I was definitely going to knit him another. He wears that first one so much that it’s challenging to get it out of rotation long enough to wash it. Enter Husband Sweater #2. It’s another Elizabeth Zimmermann, this time the seamless raglan. If I want to knit something that the Husband will actually wear, it has to be basic; clean lines, nothing too busy, no bright colours. This one fits the bill nicely.

At one point today while he was wearing it, I smoothed the sweater down on his shoulder and gazed admiringly. He chuckled and said, "I’m never sure if you’re doing that because you love me or the sweater." Truthfully, it’s a lot of both.

Pattern: The Seamless Raglan from Knitting Without Tears
Yarn: 5 skeins of Cascade 220 in colour 4002
Needles: Size 8 US (5.0mm) Bamboo
Started: September 29th, 2007
Finished: November 4th, 2007
Modifications: None, but I followed Techknitting’s advice with the transition of ribbing to stockinette. I think it’s made a big difference to how the cuffs lay. On the last row of ribbing, I slipped all the knit stitches instead of knitting them. The cuffs look great and the fabric doesn’t flip up at all. I’m going to do this with all my ribbing from here on in.
Final Verdict: I should have knit the body about an inch longer, but other than that, it’s pretty dang good.

Ravelry project details

• Nubiancraftster said:

Ahhh, what a wonderful wife and lucky husband. He looks great in your knitted masterpiece!! Great Job

• maryse said:

cascade 220 is awesome and so is that sweater. and the husband looks pretty spiffy in it too. someday i’ll make joe a sweater and he’ll actually wear it.

• bea said:

I think you did an awesome job. Its so great that he wears the sweaters that you knit. And now you live somewhere where its good to have wool sweaters. So lucky!

• Amanda said:

Caro, I love the sweater and your husband looks great in it. I haven’t attempted to knit a sweater for my husband yet because I am convinced he will NEVER even put it on and I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t like that.

• michelle said:

The husband looks marvelous in that sweater! Thanks for the ribbing tip – I’m going to have to try that one out.

• Sue said:

Your husband’s sweater looks great, and thank you for the wonderful tip too.

• Steph said:

It looks wonderful. I love techKnitting’s advice for lots of things too! :)

• Abbe said:

An absolute classic. Lucky husband.

• Lolly said:

I had to smile – just before reading this post, I was chatting with my husband about yarns and sweater patterns (searching for one for him) He said the same things: simple, clean lines, basic. All of these guys are the same. We agreed on a pattern, but now seeing this great version makes me wonder if I should run this one by him too! Looks great, Caro!

• Anonymous said:

Beautiful!
    WAy to go on getting the model to stand patiently. And he looks very comfortable in it
    sharon

• Karma said:

Yay, a successful boy sweater! He looks great, it’s a classic that he’ll be wearing for years and years.

• Julia said:

Fabulous fit! I’d be rubbing on him too. What a fabulous tip about the cuffs – I didn’t even know it was a problem, now I’m going to go look at all my cuffs.

• Kirsty said:

Yes, it is a beautiful fit and great colour. Well done.

• meg said:

Looks fab!

• monica said:

Wonderful sweater! It fits him so well.

• finnyknits said:

Winner for best wife ever right here, people! That is a great looking sweater, and one that Bubba would wear for sure. How long did that take to work up?
    And, hey, there’s no shame in admiring your accomplishments – whether they be a fabulous husband or handknit sweater.

• Scoutj said:

Oh it’s lovely!
    How are you liking living there?!?!?

• kelp! said:

You go with your manknits – it looks great! My husband has been asking for a sweater, I guess I should get on the ball with that.

• Kate said:

Welcome to Boston!!! i am in Newton— feel free to email:)
    :) K

• yaiAnn said:

Love it! My boyfriend can never find a sweater pattern he likes. Maybe this will be the one!

• cyn said:

Shoo… if someone wanted to knit me something that beautiful and classic, I wouldn’t be asking why!! It’s a perfect fit on your hubby and sure to keep him warm during the New England winter.