Home » quilting

yep, still ugly

4 December 2007 2,360 views 16 Comments

Firstquilt004_copy_2
Firstquilt002_copyFirstquilt001_copyAs the temps dipped below freezing I started digging around for blankets for the kitties. We have several afghans they can curl up in, but I can’t leave them out unsupervised now that Teek has shown himself to be a teething chomper. He’ll take a big bite of an afghan and pull his head back trying to rip pieces out. How did I manage to adopt a yarn eater? Gah! I needed to come up with an alternative for cat warmth.

Enter my ugly first quilt.

When I wanted to learn to quilt 14 years ago, I signed up for a class in the only fabric store in Whistler. Their selection was small and the teacher was more than a little uptight. The first class in the series was all about colour choices. When I reached for some greys and some blacks, the instructor came over to me and tsktsk’d my choices. "Oh honey, you don’t want to use blacks or greys in a quilt. It will be too dark and ugly. Quilting should be about lovely colours and pretty things." I should have known right then to RUN AWAY FROM THE SCARY LADY, but I didn’t. I compromised and sewed the quilt with fabrics that I didn’t love (except the backing. Still love that plaid.) While I learned a lot in the class, the result was a quilt that I don’t like and have only ever used as a cat bed. For some reason it never saw the light of day in Texas, but it’s back in rotation now. And I know just the bitey cat that can use it.

• Amy said:

Does he hold it down before tying to rip it apart… Mine does (with is cat toys & plastic bags) I think it is so funny to see him using his “hands.”
    Aviva_Hadas on Flickr

• boodely said:

Git it, bitey!!

• finnyknits said:

I’ll have to take a photo of the quilt my sister gave us as a wedding gift. It is black, white, cream and grey and it is GLORIOUS. We use it all summer long (it’s lightweight and loverly) and it is just perfectly beautiful and not at all ugly.
    Stupid quilt marm – what does she know anyway? I bet her house is full of Precious Moments dolls or something equally barfy.

• stacey said:

:) At least it’s being used for something! Stupid instructor – people like different things – there are no “right” colors!

• Ruth said:

There used to be a fabric store in Whistler?? Sigh. There was at least an art supply store when we first got here, but it was replaced by an incense and astrology shop shortly after. If I won the lottery, I think I’d open one of those swanky knitting cafes…

• Julia said:

I don’t think that’s an ugly quilt. I think it is a perfectly masculine quilt – I can’t tell the size, if small it would make a great quilt for a baby boy. Really, it’s not bad at all. You’re just hyper-critical and buy really cute fabric now. Stay warm.

• Kristi said:

I am smitten with the kitten, she is just so cute.

• Suzanne V. (Yarnhog) said:

Well, I like the quilt!

• Anjanette said:

That’s an adorable kitty picture!!!

• WeeBug said:

i don’t think that it is ugly at all, it is a beautiful quilt. as is your cat!

• Mia said:

My nephew wants me to make him a black and white quilt. The lady was not just a little uptight but massively uptight. And I wonder if he will bite this too……

• LarissaH said:

Heh heh, I think I know who that quilt marm was!
    How’ve ya been? :)

• Dina Tellum said:

I don’t often leave comments on a blog, but I just wanted to add my two cents: I like the quilt, especially the colour combination. It looks quite masculine.

• Snowden said:

Um, obviously that quilting lady had never ever heard of the Amish, who use black, brown, rust, and other dark colors extensively in their quilting work. And whose quilts are among the most sought-after by quilt collectors. You should have told her that colors are too worldly (as are zippers and buttons).

• dorkyquilts said:

Adorable post! And beautiful photography all through your site.

• gray la gran said:

recently, i was knitting on a baby surprise jacket at my lys. an old woman looked to see what i was doing … she leaned in and said , “oh! those aren’t baby colors! babies don’t look good in those colors!” i was knitting in earth tones, that slowly graduated. she was old, an ornery (sp?) … i looked at her and said, “well, you knit the pastels, i’m going to knit this!” …. ugh. my theory is that we mostly wear pastels in our babyhood because we’re way to wee to protest …..