Home » kittehs

apart

17 December 2007 1,259 views 14 Comments

Bicoe_bc_chair Ever since moving the cats into an indoor-only environment, tensions between Indy and Bicoe had increased to an all time high. No amount of Feliway, slow re-introductions or room separations could overcome the hatred between the two. Bicoe couldn’t leave Indy alone and Indy was growing more and more withdrawn. It was breaking my heart to see my once playful orange cat hiding in the closet and sleeping her way into depression. She was losing weight and spent any time awake shaking in fear. Something had to be done.

Lucky for us, the Husband’s parents are cat people and LOVE our lil’ chatty Siamese. This weekend we drove Bicoe down to Cape Cod and transitioned her into her new house. We weathered the most recent Nor’easter getting her adjusted to her new surroundings and meeting her new siblings. She’ll have two other cats to chum around with, she’ll be able to go outside come Spring and best of all, she’ll be looked after by people who love her. And it certainly doesn’t hurt that we can go visit anytime we want.

I wish it could have worked out to keep all my furry babies in one place, but it’s better all around to share the love, right?

I miss her already.

*Bicoe’s backstory is here

• stacey said:

Very good decision! Some cats just can’t take the close quarters with another….they are probably both a lot happier!

• Francesca said:

That must have been a hard decision to make, but it sounds like you solved the situation in the best possible way for Bicoe. When I read her backstory I got really angry. It never ceases to amaze me how some people treat pets as disposable. She was lucky that you were the new home buyers. :)

• Nubiancraftster said:

that is so sad, but I am sure they both appreciate the separation

• finnyknits said:

Aw – that’s a bummer, Caro! Good for poor Indy though, can’t have kitty wasting away to nothing. I’m probably missing part of the story here, but how come Bicoe goes to the in-laws and Indy stays with you guys? Just curious.
    When Bubba and I moved in together we realized our cats hated each other, but before having to decide which one was going to become the Outdoor Kitty, his cat decided to become the Pee Monster in which case, the decision was made for us.
    Sorry Mugs!

• Danielle said:

Lucky Bicoe that you had such a good home for him at your in-laws!

• elisa said:

I know how hard it must have been to move Bicoe in with your in-laws, but you’re really doing the right thing for her. She’ll have buddies to play with, she’ll be able to go outdoors, and Indy will be happier, too…
    You’re doing the right thing, Caro – and you can spoil her rotten when you visit. :)
    xo,
    E

• Mia said:

Siamese are sometimes find it hard to adjust to not having their way. And if they enjoy going outdoors, they don’t like not being able to do so. That simple reason is why my cat has always stayed at my parents house. No matter how bad the weather, she still wants to stick her head outside to see for herself. Bicoe won’t forget you though. And it is better to have a happy Indie. And Teek is still there to enliven things.

• Coastergirl said:

I have to say – I know where you are coming from. At the beginning of this year, I had 2 yorkies and 1 siamese/tabby mix. The oldest yorkie kept fighting with the cat, so I found a home for the cat. A very nice family who has said I can visit at any time. Then the oldest yorkie started beating up on my youngest yorkie and my parent’s yorkie…so I had to find a home for the oldest yorkie – it was breaking my heart to do it, but they are all much happier now – I have a friend who always wanted a yorkie – so it all worked out in the end! And to this day, if her new parents fuss over another animal in her presence, she goes ballistic. Some babies need to be only children…sniff…visitation rights are a good thing!

• Stacey said:

Wow, hard decision to make but looks like you still have Bicoe in your life, just not under your roof. Here’s to Indy lapping up eggnog and putting some meat back on those bones.

• scoutj said:

Aw Caro….I’m sorry chica.

• Susan said:

She’s now your destination kitty! Lucky! You have an excuse to go to the Cape whenever you can. That rocks. And a peaceful home rocks too. Sad for her to move, but she’s healthy and happy and that rocks.

• Elinor said:

Oh, what an awful decision to make! I’m sure she’ll have a wonderful time at her new place. Incidentally, where on the Cape? I grew up in Hyannis! What a small world! She’ll at least have plenty of gray, rainy winters. Heh. :-)

• sakegirl said:

Think of it as Bicoe going away to boarding school. She’s still part of the family and you get to see her during holidays. Plus I know you’ll spoil her with treats and knitted items when you see her. I know you’ll miss that little fluffy chicken. Score: Indy:1 Bicoe:0 Teek:confused

• natasha said:

i know this is after the fact, but one of our cats, the only boy, has become a psycho mess, picking fights, but at the same time, terrified of everything, including the other cats who are half his size. we got this stuff that you put in their water and literally within the first day, i noticed a drastic difference. rather than sleeping int he bathroom closet or on top of the fridge, he is back on the bed! we got it at petsmart, i think, it is called “calm down” i was concerned it would have a bad effect on the other cats (and our 4 month old kitten) but everyone seems fine. not sleepy, just not killing each other so much.