Home » knitting

not a perfect (sweater) season

4 February 2008 1,053 views 14 Comments

Cph_pieces
Cph_stacked_pieces
I confess I don’t really like football at all. I love to watch hockey and when I married the Husband I added baseball to that list, but football just does not sing to me. I don’t actively avoid football games, but I certainly don’t seek them out. What I do like about it though, is it provides ample knitting time on the couch, completely uninterrupted. The Husband can jump up and down and holler at Tom Brady while I can quietly hum along on whatever knitting project I want.

The Central Park Hoodie was swatched and started during a game at the end of December and I was hoping to have the whole thing finished by yesterday’s Superbowl, but I didn’t quite make it. (And neither did the Patriots, but that’s a whole other ball of yarn) All that remains now is three inches on the hood and the button bands. I think no matter how hard I try, knitting a sweater is always going to take more than 6 weeks. I always assume I can knock it out faster, but I’m consistently closer to the 2 month mark. Somebody please remind me of that in August next year so I can budget my winter knitting time better.

• Erin said:

I’m sure it’s listed somewhere, but yarn are you using for this? I am totally smitten!

• Erin said:

I meant to say “what yarn” … ooops …

• Danielle said:

If it didn’t have a giant hood, I bet it would go much faster!

• AmyDe said:

It looks great though! I try and knit all spring and Summer that way the kids at least have one sweater each by fall. Here in Atlanta the “sweater season” (HA!) is so short that I have to start EARLY.

• Mintyfresh said:

I think 2 months is perfectly reasonable for sweater knitting. Heck, I have sweater pieces hanging around that have been here for 2 YEARS. If only I could knit a whole sweater as quickly as you!

• Lisa said:

No hurry. That’s what knitting your own is about, right? The process? If you wanted a fast sweater, you could go buy one at Macy’s. Enjoy yourself!! We’ll wait.

• Peacock Chic said:

Well, it is looking good!!! I just got the CPH bug and am moving toward having it done for Stitches West. We shall see how successful I am!

• gonzomama said:

the only sweater i have knit took me six weeks and it was for a one year old. I cannot even fathom completing an adult sized sweater in that amount of time! your progress so far looks great though and i love your color choice, knit on!

• meg said:

this is my official throwing in of the towel. mine is not looking good. i finished one button band but i think i bound off too tight and i still have to seam on the sleeves and seam up the sides. i’ve only done the shoulders.
    on another note, i was SO into that game and felt pretty dang good about it. go giants! for me any team beating the patriots is good. it’s an added bonus that the team that knocked out my packers won it all. nothing against you guys or boston (love), you know i’m mad about the redsox!!

• stacey said:

I seem to do that too – think something takes way less time than it does. Every once and a while a project will surprise me though and fly off the needles! You look pretty close…

• Mandella said:

CPH is looking good and yes, that’s a fantastic colour. I love football (hate soccer) and cricket. This year DH and I didn’t stay up to watch the Superbowl. It usually finishes about 3am here so necessitates a day off work to recover. We thought it was a foregone conclusion; how wrong we were!

• Abbe said:

Gaw! You’re so slow. Haha! 2 months is damn speedy for a gorgeous cabled sweater. I love the look of it.

• Lisa said:

I’m working on a CPH right now, too! I’ve finished the sleeves and am just about done with the back. It’s a really fun sweater – can’t wait to see yours finished.
    BTW, I really like your Twist sweater.

• Silvina said:

Hola, soy Silvina vivo en Neuquén, Argentina y quiero felicitarte por tu blog, me pareció muy bueno y me gustaría saber si me podes pasar el patron para realizar ese hermoso saco con capucha soy bastante gorda y las revistas que publican aca solo traen talles hasta el 44.
    Si no es posible, igual agradecere tu respuesta. nuevamente felicitaciones!!!! un beso. Silvina