Home » this & that

366

10 March 2008 2,067 views 20 Comments

My father was our family’s official photographer. Everywhere we went, at every age, Dad was there capturing the moments on film. Mum has boxes and boxes of slides at home documenting our family from the day they met(!) until well past the day the baby of the house moved out (that’s me.) The only drawback to all these photos though, is that we don’t have very many of the photographer.

I could get into some trouble as a firestarter (365.82)

At the end of November, I decided to take part in the Flickr 365 Days project. In a nutshell, it’s one self-portrait a day, for an entire year. At the very least, I’ll document how much I change over the course of the year and get some fun pics while I’m at it. The best part of the project so far though, is that it’s forcing me to use my camera every day and really pushing my photography skills forward.

turning, always turning (365.92)

The entire set is here. I’ve been doing it for more than 100 days, which is way further along than I ever thought I’d get. If you’ve thought about doing the project too, we have a smaller, supportive knitterly group to play with. I know at first glance it seems narcissistic, but trust me, once you get going, you’ll find it’s almost the opposite.

365.53

• Carole said:

I think I’m intimidated by the idea of using my tripod and self-timer so much! Your photos are wonderful!

• Melody said:

I love flickr.. I love it SO much, I think it might be obsession. Your photos here are great..and it is nice to have some of the person who usually is the one taking all the pics.. the one of you and your Dyson is the best!

• Steph said:

I love your 365 set. I started mine to let me have more fun with my camera, and I definitely have, but I still need to push myself a little more!

• margaux said:

Love your set! i totally want to get more involved with this project… perhaps i’ll check out the support group!
    That pic with your finger a flame is awesome. So cool!

• Abbe said:

It’s a really cool project. I’ve loved seeing all the creative things you’ve done with it. That and it doesn’t seem like you’ve moved away since I still see you everyday.

• Mintyfresh said:

I, for one, am super-thrilled that you joined the ranks of us 365-ers, because it actually helped me get to know you better! I’m on day 435, and still going strong.

• Meghan said:

Your pictures are wonderful–thanks for sharing!

• Suzanne V. (Yarnhog) said:

That vacuum cleaner hero shot just cracked me up so much that my eight year old came running in to see what all the fuss was about! I don’t think he quite got it, but you’re certainly speaking my language.

• Suzanne V. (Yarnhog) said:

I had to go check out the rest of the photos. (Your eyes are amazing. So expressive.) My favorite is #100–the one with the picture of yourself at 19. My god, wouldn’t we all just love to talk to our 19-year-old selves for an hour?

• Amy Curran said:

I need to do this…maybe next year. I can only hope to get a couple of shots as great as these.

• Carrie said:

I love all your photos. You’re very creative and so darn cute too!
    I’ve had a lot of fun doing the 365 project, I think I’m on day 70…

• feli said:

I am doing the same project too except mine is to capture a moment in a day for 366 days. :*)

• Wendy said:

OMG — LOVE the photo with your Dyson.
    Which reminds me — I really need to get mine out and use it.

• ekgheiy said:

Wow – how inspiring! I had never heard of the 365 Days. Thanks for the info.

• leslie said:

love following your 365.
    also love that first shot. fabulous.

• dorkyquilts said:

Your photoset was amazing. I loved so many of the pictures, but that one double exposure of you on the couch knitting with yourself was just awesome. I also loved the one where kitty and you were playing with the sheet on the bed. I hate to sound like a voyeur or something, but I think people’s everyday lives are the most fascinating thing! Thanks for giving us such an intimate glimpse into yours. You seem like a very content person–and that’s inspiring. Thank you.

• Sara said:

The photo of you with the flame is the neatest freaking picture! Love it!!

• Minimolli said:

Fantastic! I love this idea – and your photos are so much fun! I really like the one with the kitty in the bed. One of my kitties does same thing and I love every minute of it! I participated in a fun photo project a while back called photo friday (http://www.photofriday.com) but somehow fell out of the habit. Every friday you get a new theme and have all week to come up with a photo. I don’t know if I could do every day, but once a week is pretty doable.
    Fantastic photos and inspiring creativity!

• bethany said:

great photos.. today I finished my first week..
    It’s so much more challenging than I thought. Yesterday I took 70 photos.
    Thank goodness for digital.

• Specs said:

Ha! I’d not seen that photo of you with the vacuum cleaner before.
    Also, you’re absolutely right about 365 not being narcissistic. It’s much more about creativity and community.