Home » house

like, africa hot

11 June 2008 1,933 views 19 Comments

I've always been a winter kind of gal. Snow, sweaters, dressing in layers and a crisp chill in the air all make me giddy. But the truth is, I love summer too. I love to be barefoot and sit in the grass. I love green leaves, a warm breeze and hanging my feet in a pool or a lake. But there's a point though that it gets too hot for me. I'm toasty at the coldest of times, so anything above 30 C (86 F) pushes my comfort buttons.

we're getting along just fan (365.189)

I maintain the hot summers in Austin are just like a cold winter. You have to stay inside, you rely heavily on central air and your activities impeded by to the temps outside. The key difference with a place like Austin in the summer or Boston in the winter, is that you're ready for it. Prepared. Just like when Austin issues frost warnings, a heat wave in Boston sends the locals into a heat frenzy.

We prepared as best we could for this last heat blast. We ordered an air-conditioning unit, we moved our bedroom down into the much cooler guest room for the summer and we brought a couple fans to keep the kitties cool. All would have been well if the AC unit hadn't arrived broken. D'oh!

Nothing like a cold, wet facecloth on a hot day

So we've been sweating a lot, swearing a little, keeping hydrated, and remembering why Austin could be so miserable in the middle of the summer. Austin and Boston both make me wish I lived on a lake or that I had a pool in my backyard. Safe to say I haven't knit a stitch. And when the thermometer goes over 100 in my sewing room, I retreat for a siesta. Which is my long-winded way of saying I have nothing crafty to report. But really, can you blame me?

• nancy said:

hang in there caro, it’s supposed to be more temperate soon…either that or your non-broken A/C will arrive. fingers crossed for both!

• jenny said:

yep, it’s super hot here. feel free to come hang out in my air conditioned house! i don’t know how you’re coping without a/c!!!

• Stephg said:

Okay. I made that comment on your flickr photo yesterday, but I saw the weather report for “up there” and I guess you can be allowed to whine. 😉 Stay cool!

• Mintyfresh said:

at least it broke a bit last night! it’s still warm, but the humidity is gone. at least here in nyc.

• stinkerbell said:

she in NYC with no AC… fully and wholly commisserates!

• Carole said:

Nope, I don’t blame you at all. But it’s better today, thank goodness. And I love that your kitty will sleep with a cool facecloth on her belly. So adorable!

• Danielle said:

Ouch! I think the rest of the week is supposed to be a little cooler, right?

• Jodi said:

Oh no! That sounds just brutal. I’m a winter girl myself, so once the temp is above 74 here I get uncomfortable, above 84 I’m just miserable.
    Good job creatively cooling down the kitty!

• finnyknits said:

Hello Biloxi Blues reference! Love it.
    My dear, I feel your pain. We don’t have the A/C here in California, not that we normally need it, but when it got up to 109 a few summers ago we, and the pets, nearly died in hot sweaty piles.
    I finally gave up and bought an A/C unit to wheel around the house like trailer trash and I hardly care.
    I’m so sad that your A/C showed up broken. ASSHOLES. I would have come unglued, but you know that.
    Stay cool, my friend. And I love that the cat has a cool washcloth and appears to enjoy it.

• maryse said:

it’s going to be a cool and dry 78 tomorrow. i bet you’re already feeling the coolness.

• Maritza said:

Dude. I feel ya. You are braver than I am for even attempting to sew. I gave up entirely after frizzing felt with my sweaty fingers.

• Nell said:

I’m so with you! 60’s to 70’s is PERFECT for me. Above 75-78, I wilt… Bigtime.

• Anonymous said:

I agree with Nell, anything above 75 and I’m done for (and yes, it does sometimes get that hot here in the UK!). My friends can’t understand why I spend all day indoors when it’s hot!

• polinium said:

I love the photo of your cat, it is absolutely adorable.

• misti said:

I was in Texas two weeks ago to visit family and friends. It really is hot…I had sort of forgotten because the past two summers I went home it was strangely cooler than I’d imagined my entire life, growing up.

• Magalie said:

The picture says it so well, “ahhhhhhhhh, relief.” Great photo. Think cool thoughts.

• nova said:

At least it has been a little bearable lately, right? I actually hate to sweat, and nothing makes me happier than the necessity of wearing a sweatering inside a library when it’s like 100 degrees outside. I love the picture of you with the fan. Love it.

• Amy said:

It was so nice to meet you in person last night!
    Also: Awwwww, look at the little washcloth! It’s even cuter than you described.

• caro said:

Just found your blog randomly through a comment on Pepperknit. I’m Caro, too, AND my cat looks exactly like yours. Honestly, they could be twins. I’m willing to accept that there might be millions of Caros in the blogosphere, but a clone of my Lucy? It’s a little creepy!