Home » FOs, husband sweaters, knitting

well worn

4 January 2009 1,566 views 25 Comments

I've had it in my mind since last year to do a rundown of previous knits. I mean, you post the FO shots, you rave about how happy you were when you finished, but there's so rarely a post-knit, post-wearing review. I think I may just devote January to exactly this point. I'm busy getting the shop ready for the next boxbag update anyway, so FO's are going to be in short supply for the next few weeks.

First up, The Husband Sweater.

Out of the two sweaters I've knit for the Husband, EZ's Seamless Hybrid gets the most use. I finished this in December 2006 and while it didn't see a ton of wear in Austin, it's a wardrobe constant here in Boston. Seriously, sometimes it's hard to get it away from him long enough to wash it. That fact alone makes it hands down my most satisfying knit, ever. (I only got these photos because I told him it was still drying.) This is the sweater that other knitters point out to their spouses to convince them that they need a handknit of their own.

Seamless Hybrid, two years later

During the first few wearings it pilled like CRAZY. I was worried for a
bit, but like a new carpet, it only needed to shed a little and now is
back to only minor pilling here and there. After a few washings, the stitches are all perfectly even and uniform. Cascade 220, you're my hero.

Eventually I'll make him another just like it with only two mods:

The bottom hem, because it was knit closed, has a tendency to flip up. (TechKnitting wrote a great post about why this happens.) Next time I'll just bite the bullet and seam it down rather than muck about with the provisional cast on.

Seamless Hybrid, two years later

The purl gutter on each side of the front raglan decreases is at times charming, but mostly I just think it looks messy. I'll try the next one without it.

Seamless Hybrid, two years later

There will definitely be another one for him and most likely one for myself. With a little waist shaping? Heaven in a sweater.

Original finished object post and the details on Ravelry.

• Melissa said:

I love that you’re doing this and you’re so right that it’s not something you see very often. I love that sweater — it looks beautiful.

• Carrie said:

I really want to make one of these for Jacob, but he’s so skittish about it. Maybe I should just DO IT and then he will love it and wear it out like your husband does. It looks great!

• Ashley said:

This really i such a great sweater. It is the kind of sweater that makes me wish I had a boyfriend just so I could make him this sweater and make him wear it all the time.

• nancy said:

I love the update, and yes, you are correct, it is THE sweater I plan to knit for ollie, all because of B’s love for his!

• Christy / Not Hip said:

Interesting about the knit versus seamed hem….and a bummer, too, b/c I like knitting it together. I love the contrasting facings on this sweater.
    This is still on my list for P-funk…but it may be a year or so. Since I am work on Cobblestone and he wants a cardigan next.

• Elizabeth said:

I think I actually remember reading about you knitting this when it was first made. One of the first blogs I ever read. This sweater still looks great, and I happy that he still really likes it.

• mai said:

the knit hem is definitely easier, but they flipping would annoy me too. i like that purl gutter! i think it looks very neat and professional!

• jane said:

That is a great sweater. A supergreat sweater, in fact. Yay! The Cascade is wearing up so well, too. Plans are being hatched around these parts even as I type…. Thanks for the update, I love hearing how handknits have fared!

• Elinor said:

This is what you hope for in any knitted gift! I think the best thank you for a knitted item is very regular wear!

• lola said:

I love that Cascade 220 color! I made a sweater that no longer fits out of the same one. Now I’m trying to find a pattern to fit the yarn.

• rachel said:

That’s a really good idea! Re-reporting how knits are doing now–it reminds me a lot of those VH1 shows about young popstars. :)

• Nell said:

It’s so nice when the recipient truly appreciates a handknit. Well done.

• Jessica said:

Thanks for the info on the sweater. I’m eyeing it for my own husband and it’s great to know it’s a well loved pattern and yarn.

• Danielle said:

So true about how this sweater can convince husbands that handknits are good. Not that mine needs much convincing…

• whitney said:

I think this is a great idea, looking back at the old knits! I hope my husband’s soon-to-be-finished Seamless Hybrid is as well-loved as yours is.

• Christine said:

I was just looking at this on Ravelry and thinking it might make a nice sweater for me — glad to see I’m not the only one! I love hearing your thoughts on how they worked out when done and worn for some time!

• Juno said:

I was just talking about this with Cassie/TMW – I think we should ALL pull out our finished knits and assess their longevity. A community service AND blog material. A win/win.

• Diana said:

I think these previous knit reports are a great idea, its so valuable to see what yarns and patterns work in the long run.

• Vicki said:

Terrific idea and a great report! Love these photos, too.

• Stacey said:

I’ve admired this in your Ravelry FO list. Nice to hear a report!

• gleek said:

i love reviews of sweaters after they’ve been worn :) good to hear your thoughts on the matter.

• Heather said:

This is so timely as I am just about to cast one of these bad boys on! Cascade 220 is such a stalwart companion:)

• Koru said:

Brilliant idea. Thanks so much. I look forward to your future posts and hope this will start a trend amongst knit bloggers.

• Tiennie J said:

This is such a nice sweater! Happy 2009 to you!

• peanut said:

Thanks for your review. I just ordered a bunch of cascade 220 (in the tweeds) to knit my husband a sweater. I’ve only used it for a few smaller projects so far and none of them had gotten a lot of wear yet. It’s nice to know it will stand up to pretty nearly constant wear, that exactly what this sweater is supposed to be for.