Home » FOs, hats and bags, knitting

coronet revisited

16 January 2009 8,983 views 19 Comments

I knit Coronet back in December 2006. Again, like most of my handknits, it didn't see much wear in Austin. Boston, however, gave it new life. If it's cold enough for a toque, this is the one I reach for every time. The cabled band around the bottom is perfect for non-helmet-like toque wearing. It gives it just enough of a chunky weight that it doesn't suck down to your melon giving you that little desired Q-tip look. Plus it's perfect to wear straight across my eyebrows in that old-school ski resort employee way. (Check it out next time you go up the hill. Five bucks says all the employees wear their hats low across their foreheads.)

IMG_5747-3

The only downside to this hat is the yarn I chose. The Cashmerino Aran while soft, doesn't hold up to any sort of wear. It's beyond fuzzy and pilly. So much so that I'm going to eventually knit myself another Coronet in some other yarn that will look nicer for longer than the FO photo shoot.

IMG_5763-2

Original finished object post and the details on Ravelry

• Danielle said:

I wear my hat so low, I swear my eyelashes might touch it. Good to know that I have career options at ski resorts available to me.

• sheepishone said:

i knit a coronet from DB Cashmerino Aran as well, but i gifted it (yikes!) and don’t know how it wears now… i have knit a simple cabled hat and a matching set of fingerless mitts and they’re wearing well enough. like you said, it is very soft. and for a hat, really, it’s fabulous. i’ll be on the watch for which yarn you select for your next coronet. maybe i’ll have to copy.

• nancy said:

Boo on the pilling, it’s such a lovely hat on you too! Extra boo because I have a PILE of DB Casharan in my stash for the FLS! :-(

• ann said:

I loved my coronet… I lost it at a concert. I should make another one. I love how it keeps ears so warm.

• vanessa said:

hee hee, never thought about the low hat things, guess growing up in a resort town like Truckee CA you just don’t know any different :)

• Georgia said:

It’s beautiful, too bad it pills so badly.
    This hat has been in my queue for a long time. Maybe it’ll be next after I finish my family of thorpes!

• mai said:

i always wear my hat low too – even lower than my eyebrows!
    i have heard that debbie bliss yarn tends to pill in general…bummer :(

• k said:

I guess I hang out with too many ski resort employees…but I always wear my hat low as I want to make sure it’s covering my ears – very importing when boarding down a slope in the wind!

• finnyknits said:

You’re right about the low-brow thing. Although Bubba swears this is a knuckle-dragger trait rather than a two-planker trait.
    Stupid skiiers and their I-was-here-first mentality ;)
    At least I can walk into the lodge for my noon beer without ker-klunking the crap out of myself. Love those boots.

• lynette said:

nice!! i love wearing my hats low also. i’m glad you can get good use out of it.

• susie said:

Love that pattern — it looks like you made it so that the bottom doesn’t roll up — that’s how I did it (actually cause I didn’t follow the pattern correctly). I think it’s a little more streamlined without the roll-up (personal preference). And yes — we all still wear our hats low on the forehead — at 10 below yesterday in Maine — we need all the coverage we can get!

• Nadia Lewis said:

Looks great on you!

• Heather said:

Such an accurate portrait of the ski lift personnel:)

• Erin - France said:

I knit my coronet in Dream in Colour Classy and it’s being used intensly in North France (we had up to -12°C last week). Anyway, just a heads up to say it’s very warm and seems to be wearing well.
    It’s a quick knit, you’ll soon have a new one!

• Kathy said:

It does look great on you! I’m all about hats these days!

• Nell said:

Even pilly, the color is perfect.

• Cristi-Lael said:

It’s still pretty, I like that cable!

• Tiennie J said:

That looks really cute on you!

• patricia fontes said:

really nice! adorable on you!