Home » FOs, Headline, knitting

EZ, I do love you

7 December 2009 5,627 views 10 Comments

seamless hybrid blockingI’ve knit a fair few sweaters for myself, but I was still searching for that perfect sweater.  The Husband got his on the first try, lucky duck, but I still hadn’t found that sweater I reached for when the temps dropped.  Actually, I do have one I reach for, but it’s cotton from Old Navy and isn’t going to last more than a few months, plus it isn’t…you know…wool. And I didn’t make it. So the quest for my go-to sweater continued. At the end of last winter, I got caught wearing the Husband’s seamless hybrid more than a few times. It certainly didn’t fit me, but I couldn’t shake the feeling that this might be the one. Turns out I was right.

After I finished my Owls sweater, I cast on for a Seamless Hybrid of my own. I knew I wanted some fairly aggressive waist shaping with an inch of extra ease in the hips to accommodate jeans with a belt. Taking a cue from Owls, I used princess seam decreases on the back, but kicked them a little closer to the sides. From hip to waist, it comes in about 6 inches and then back out 3 inches for the chest. (I’m a curvy girl!)

the chooch point (365.2.310)

Since I’m always pushing up long sleeves, I opted for 3/4 length and almost got them perfect. They’re about 2 inches too long, but it’s not enough to irritate me.  That gauge, she lies.

one striped arm

The yarn is Valley Yarns Northampton and at $4.99/skein for 247 yards, this sweater cost just under $25.  Twenty-five smackaroos! At that price, it’s even better than finding a cheapo Old Navy sweater. Y’all know, I’m a huge Cascade 220 fan for the dollar value and quality, but I have to tell you, Northampton is my new yarn. For everything. For ever. LOVE it.

The chartreusey colour on the cuffs was too great a colour combo with the Ocean Heather of the sweater, so I opted to put two wee stripes on the bottom of one sleeve. I was just winging the placement, but I like how it came out.

limey cuffs

While it may not be the Perfect Sweater Ever, it comes close. (At least for this season)

seamless hybrid finished

All the details are here on Ravelry

• lauren said:

That sweater is such a winner. And thanks for pointing the way to that northampton yarn – I’ve been wanting to make a SH for Peto for some time now and I bet that stuff will be just the ticket.

• grumperina said:

Gorgeous!!! I’m happy to hear your positive review of Valley Yarns Northampton. The colors are fantastic, and the price is excellent. Let us know how it wears, okay?

• Donna said:

I found the photo of the back which shows the princess seaming on your project page – that’s my favorite kind of shaping in a sewn garment; I don’t know why it never occurred to me that it would work for a knitted garment as well – genius!

• Steph said:

I love the colors you chose for it! And I’ll have to give that Northampton a try sometime.
    Looks great! :)

• Manise said:

I *love* it and also need a go to comfy sweater! I plan to copy you and your mods- I’ll be choosing Eggplant and the Chartreuse instead.

• Jocelyn said:

You are perfectly adorable.

• k said:

That last picture says it all – definitely a true smile of sweater joy! turned out really nice. i totally understand the search for the perfect sweater, and i’m still looking. i’ve thought of trying the seamless hybrid, but perfect for me means it would need to be cardiganized somehow.

• New England Girl said:

I might have withstood the charms of the sweater if you hadn’t chosen my favorite color combo ever, but alas, no luck. That peek-a-boo chartreuse under the hem totally did me in. Strikes me as the ultimate weekend sweater. Best of all, you look lovely in it. Congratulations on another job well done. Pray for a chilly October 2010 and think how smashing you’ll look at the Head of the Charles. 😀

• sam said:

Lovely sweater! yes, northhampton is my go to yarn too! I’m wearing a sweater in it right now. and it’s a EZ percentage system pattern! It’s pilling but after like 8 months what can you expect? I just bought some yarn there for my boyfriend’s sweater.

• RisaJ said:

what a great sweater…I think this pattern will be on my needles soon….love the color of the sweater….