Home » eat it up, Headline

cakeballs

28 December 2009 2,684 views 7 Comments

reindeer popsOr as we’ve been calling them, Reindeer Balls!

I stumbled across Bakerella through someone’s favourites on flickr (I think) and after favouriting almost every single photo of her Cake Pops, added her as a contact. The minute I set eyes on her Reindeer Cakepops, I was smitten. I had to take a go. Every fibre of my being knew I needed to try to make them.

The process is pretty simple, but a little time consuming. In a nutshell, you bake a cake, crumble it up and mix it with icing. Then roll that into wee balls, drop a lollipop stick in, dip it in chocolate and decorate. Easy, right? Yes and no.

reindeer pop making mess

Easy if you’re not a perfectionist and don’t mind lumpy balls. (Heh. Lumpy balls). Not so easy if you only realize after freezing the cake balls prior to chocolate dipping that you should have taken more care to get the balls perfectly round.

Reindeer balls

Thankfully, I’m ok with the lumpy-headedness. It gives them more personality I think.

heads on sticks

Some of the reindeer were badly mis-shapen and ended up with head wounds. I put the yellow confetti on those and made them into zombies. Of course they were among the first to be eaten. Who can resist reindeer zombies?

creepy

I think the hardest part of the whole project was sourcing the sticks and some of the decorating bits. I ended up in the cake decorating section at Michael’s but I wasn’t overwhelmed with choices. Surely there must be a better place for confetti and icing pens.

ingredients

Next time (oh, yes. there will be a next time) I’ll run the cake through a few pulses in the food processor for better crumbliness. I think I’ll also try and find a better way to paint on the mouths and eyes. Maybe icing and a thin brush? I bought an edible marker and it really didn’t work for crap.

• delaïdo said:

I have never heard of an edible marker. It makes me think of those smelly markers, only better!
    These reindeer lollies are so very cute. You must have a load of patience.

• sam said:

yeah I work at Joann fabrics and our cake decorating section sucks. though mostly people end up getting like tubs of frosting and stuff (really? it’s like $10. make it yourself), our like sprinkles etc are not impressive.

• Sherpamama said:

Sweet!

• Jessi said:

Firstly, hi! I’ve been reading your blog for, maybe a year? But obviously never commented before.

Secondly, the reindeer are super cute. I really love the variety of antlers.

And finally, for candy and cake decorating stuff you should try http://www.bakeitpretty.com . I’m a little obsessed with recommending them to people as they not only seem to have everything I actually am looking for but also have a ton of little things I never knew I needed (woodland themed cookie cutters, anyone?). They’re also very affordable and, in my experience, quick with the shipping.

• grumperina said:

I’d even eat the misshapen ones. Zombies are still totally nom-tastic, heh.

• janna said:

I’ve been reading Bakerella for ages, and I like to bake, but I’ve never attempted cakeballs. Now I’m thinking I might need to….

• Sarah L. said:

Super cute! A friend and colleague here in Austin started a cake business and her cake balls have really taken off. I think you would appreciate the product and the beautiful photos. They are deeeeeelicious! You can check them out at:

You look great at the FO’s are lovely. Happy New Year!