Home » Headline, Travel

my LYS away from home

2 March 2010 2,533 views 10 Comments

purl diva

This weekend my girls and I all drove up to Freeport, Maine for our annual trip to SPA. (I love that SPA doesn’t stand for anything, it’s just capitalized for emphasis.) In what is quickly becoming tradition, we always drive a little farther and finish up our caravan at Purl Diva in Brunswick.

I heart Purl Diva

The owner, Ellen, is fabulous and is running a shop after my own heart. Great yarn selection, attention paid to lighting and most key, heaps of seating so you can sit and knit.

Ellen!

Loki, the shop dog is great too. She’s really well behaved and an asset to the store.  How can you resist those sweet eyes? Resistance is futile! Pet me!

I love a sweet shop pup

I was tickled to see my friends’ designs all knit up and sprinkled around the store.

Look! An FLS!

FLS in the wild at Purl Diva

Vespergyle Mittens!

Vespergyles!

Tea Leaves!

Tea Leaves

Fiddleheads!

Fiddlehead!

I firmly believe that if Purl Diva wasn’t a two and half hour drive away, it would easily slip into the role of my local yarn store.  If you’re in the area, you really should check it out. (And save me a lemon Starburst from the candy bowl, please)

• Danielle said:

I’ll fight you for those lemon starbursts.

• Heather said:

Oh wow Caro, it’s so great to see these pictures of Ellen’s shop. I would love to visit!

• Jen said:

I am lucky, being only 20-25 min from Brunswick. Its my go to LYS. Even though there are a couple other LYS in Portland, none are as great, or have the selection of the yarns I love (madtosh, DIC, etc….). Hope you enjoyed SPA!

• thea said:

And a bathroom! Which was so necessary. It was hugely awesome, I think all my trips up to Maine from now on will include a detour.

Plus all that Madeline Tosh….. I cannot WAIT to get knitting that stuff.

• Manise said:

We started making the pilgrimage to see Ellen 2 years ago with lunch after. The best LYS ever! Great selection and super customer service! Doesn’t get any better than that! I sadly missed going up this weekend while at SPA. :-(

• Kathleen said:

I’m lucky enough to have Purl Diva as my LYS in the summer. Even though I can walk to Halcyon Yarns from my house, I usually drive over to Ellen’s for my fiber (and Loki) fix :)

• lisa said:

I love Ellen! And Loki! And her shop!

• Liz said:

I’ve been reading Purl Diva’s blog for years. When my family moved to Maine from Iowa last year, Ellen’s shop was pretty much the first MUST VISIT place on my list. I was just giddy that I got to live near such a great place! Now I live about an hour away from Purl Diva but still go whenever I can. Thanks for sharing your experience and your photos of my favorite LYS!

• Maritza said:

Ellen is the sweetest! I love her shop! And I adore Loki. If she were closer, I would be there all the time. Love!

• Debra said:

All the above is true. Ellen is LYS queen extraordinaire. Even though I live in Cape Elizabeth, her shop is definitely my favorite on earth and I try to get up there. Ellen is also a really nice person and has such enthusiasm for yarn and knitting. And Loki is the best pat-dog ever. (Except for Rico!)