Home » Headline, quilting, sewing

next stop, Wonderland

8 March 2010 2,293 views 10 Comments

Momo jelly roll

Way back ages and ages ago before we moved, sometime in June of 2009 I started working on a new quilt. I still haven’t blogged about it here, but I think it’s time is now. I’m not 100% in love with where this is going, but it’s pretty nonetheless.

so far

I picked a block out of an old quilting book I have. The book is Scrap Quilts and the block is the Flying Squares. It’s a bit fiddly with one inset corner seam, but I’ve worked out a system to make it easier. The fabric is all from a MoMo Wonderland jelly roll I picked up in Virginia.

read your damn notes (365.2.166)

My gut feeling is that it desperately needs some solids to balance things out.

by accident

I wasn’t planning on any sashing, but I think it might help steady things a bit.

auditioning the brown

I dunno. I like it, I’m just not in love with it.

Much better

Thoughts? Suggestions?

• Bertha said:

I normally don’t love sashing, but I think it would be really beneficial to this quilt. The picture that shows the blocks together unsashed is really busy and makes my eyes go all over the place. I think once they’re sashed, it will really allow each block to shine!

• Kate said:

I would try some non-traditional sashing such as stacking the blocks vertically and placing wide sashing between the stacks, or trying it horizontally and grouping the color families either in rows or in similar transition from right to left throughout the rows. I’m not sure i am describing this right. I can send a sketch.lol

• jennifer said:

I think the solid makes a world of difference! I’m not a quilter, so I have no idea what sashing is, but I like how the squares stand out with the brown between them.

• isa said:

I like it this way, but I’m not much of a sasher :-)
    Have you tried kona snow or white?

• Sue said:

What if you set them diagonally with sashing between?

• Dotty said:

I think the blocks look fine. The only one that I have problems with is the second one from the top in the right most column. And looking at the block, it should look the same no matter which direction you turn it. Yet, some of the blocks go one way and others go the other way, kwim?

I like the suggestion of setting the blocks on point but instead of sashing, place a square between each one of your blocks. Something like this.

• carolyn said:

i think the sashing might help unify things b/c as it stands it kind of looks like you’re working on two different quilts / two different color families.

• Luciana said:

I think it’s gorgeous already but agree that some solid colors thrown in would help it a lot.

• gab-fab said:

It’s lovely! I agree with others that sashing would help unify to colors. I noticed you’ve got your blocks going in 2 different directions, 4 of one layout, 6 its mirror opposite. I think this is throwing off your symmetry. You might want to consider redoing the smaller group if you have patience for that?

Also, if you’re not a fan of sashing because it’s a little static, you could offset your squares to make things more interesting. Not sure I can explain my picture in words, but here goes: if you have 4 squares in a 2×2, keep the upper right in place; move the upper left square up 2 units (the width of your strips) and to the left 1; move the lower left square up 1 unit and to the left 3; move the lower right square down one unit and left 1 unit. That will give you space enough for a little square (1 unit x 1 unit) in the center of your squares (and it mimics the movement in your squares!) :)

I love brown for the sashing, too. Really lovely!

• Alice said:

Wow, this is beautiful! Whether you end up adding sashing or not its going to be gorgeous :)