Home » eat it up, Headline, Travel

Vegas, baby

8 June 2010 3,915 views 7 Comments

It has been a busy month for travel around here. Last month I zipped out to Vegas for a couple days to loaf with The Husband after he finished up at a conference. In what is fast becoming tradition, we hit a few of our favourite spots.

vegas neon museum

No trip to Vegas is complete for us without a trip to the Pinball Museum and Hall of Fame. It’s just down the road from the MGM Grand in a huge facility filled to the brim with pinball machines young and old. The machines are all open for play and it’s easy to lose a couple of hours chasing the silver ball. Cheaper than losing money in the casino, even with the cab ride there and back.

the Pinball Museum!

At the Pinball Hall of Fame

You can’t go to Las Vegas without indulging in some great food and one of our first stops was Hash House a Go Go. They’ve just opened a new location in the Imperial Palace and while I love the vibe out at the Sahara location I have to admit that the new one is super convenient to The Strip. My favourite is their chicken and waffles.  “Two sage fried chicken breasts with hardwood smoked bacon waffle tower, hot maple reduction and fried leeks.” Seriously. There’s bacon IN THE WAFFLE. The portions are huge, but so deliciously tasty that you’ll never eat again.

Hash House a Go-Go chicken and waffles

We’re always sure to head downtown to Fremont Street for other adventures. We popped into the Mermaid Casino for our traditional late night people watching snack. The casino is not one I would ever play in, but if you wander in, there’s a food stand in the back that sells deep-fried twinkies. Now, I would never eat a Twinkie normally (there’s no food in that food,) but when you deep-fry one it becomes magical. Deep-fried crusty goodness on the outside and the inner cake gets all warm and melty and delicious. We only ever order one to split and we almost never finish it, but it’s worth it for those first few magical bites. Paired with a white russian from the casino bar? That’s good times right there.  I think I’m still full from everything we ate and that was two weeks ago!

white russian and a deep fried twinkie

• thea said:

Oh My God. Not sure if it’s the twinkie or the waffle tower with bacon inside, but other words escape me.

There’s a donut place in SF that makes maple glazed donuts with bacon in the batter. Sounds about right for the morning after – if you have room.

• Joanna said:

Oh my gosh I am so JEALOUS!! We used to go to Vegas all the time when we lived in UT and Fremont St was so awesome! In fact, in his single days, my hubby lived on a nasty street just off Fremont Street. Oh the stories he has from that time in his life. Shiver. That food looks amazing – I am all about anything fried so I would have been right there with you lol! Thanks for the trip down memory lane :)

• Danielle said:

You know, I’ve never wanted to go to Vegas before, but you might be changing my mind.

• Kat said:

I want to go to Vegas just for the Pinball Museum. We used to have a machine in our basement. ‘Satin Doll’ was her name.

• Kristen said:

I don’t think there is enough Hot Maple Reduction in the world. Or fried leeks, for that matter.

Thanks for the list of places to add to my future Vegas trips!

• Andrea said:

I had vowed to NEVER return to Vegas, but after your report I am rethinking it. The original Hash House is in San Diego and I <3 it beyond belief. That plus a pin ball museum!!! Vegas is looking up.

• Sharon said:

OMG I live in Las Vegas for 20 years and have never known about the deep fried twinkies. With twinkies having a shelf life of 20 years…but I bet they would be wonderful. Have to check them out. Thanks.