Home » Headline, knitting, Travel

you’re going where? to do what?

10 June 2010 3,295 views 10 Comments

As soon as I got back from Vegas, I had just enough time to finish all the laundry before I started packing again. This time off to Michigan. Middle of Nowhere, Michigan in fact. Well, technically we were in Grayling, but it’s mostly all farm and fishing country.

roadside motel

Remember how I went to Philly that time? And then the girls came to Boston? And then we went to DC? We did that, except we rented a giant fishing lodge for the Memorial Day weekend. Just three nights for 8 of us, but we packed in a lot more relaxation than you’d ever think.

We knit,

pretty Ashley

we embroidered,

crafty detritus

we gossiped,

embroidering on the deck

we made food and mixed drinks,

infusing the tequila

and we enjoyed each others company. A perfect weekend. I would have loved to have stayed another day or three.

On my flight out, the guy in the seat next to me asked what I was going to be doing in Michigan. I told him I was headed to Grayling for our annual knitting retreat. He half-snorted and shrugged his shoulders. “Uh, ok. That sounds…fun?” Why do people mock knitting retreats? Because dude, it was amazing.

at sunset

• thea said:

Sounds awesome. Don’t forget the bacon!

• Vicki said:

Perfect!!

• Manise said:

What a fun time! I get the same reaction when I tell people I’m going to a sheep and woolie festival. And no, one is not enough per year.

• sam said:

looks very nice and fun!

• Kate said:

He’s obviously never tried it. Because if he had, he would have said ‘oooh, can I come too?’

I am about to head out on my OWN knitting/sewing retreat for our Queen’s Birthday long weekend and I am SO EXCITED.

• Sam said:

I would love a knitting retreat. I would get weird looks too, but that’s one of those things that everyone else is really missing out on.

• AnnieKnits said:

Hey, I’m from Michigan, upper peninsula to be exact. I’m going home for 4th of July and guess what I’m bringing? Yup, my knitting. It’ sgoing to be awesome. :-)

• Monet said:

Yeah, what a rude man! He doesn’t know what he’s missing. I’m so glad you had a good time…it looks absolutely fantastic.

• laura said:

My dad used to go to Camp Grayling every year for his National Guard annual training. I bet you could see the stars!!

• christine m. east of toronto said:

sigh. until i started sharing and vocalizing about the fact that i love knitting, i never realized what a bad rep knitting has! we of the yarnhood definitely need to hire an image consultant! cos this ain’t yer grandmother’s hobby anymore!