Home » FOs, Headline, husband sweaters, knitting

reknit and renewed

10 November 2010 2,822 views 12 Comments

I am lucky to have a husband who is good about wearing the stuff I knit for him. Winter usually finds him in at least one hand-knit, sometimes two, every day. The original green seamless hybrid I knit way back in 2006 gets more wear than anything I have knit for me. Dubbed The Sci-fi, this is the sweater he would be happy to wear forever after the robot apocalypse. Clearly, this is a man who appreciates a good hand-knit sweater.

When I tried to recreate that magic by knitting him a seamless raglan the following year, I almost got it bang on. The colour (or lack thereof) was right up his alley. The sleeves were exactly the right length. The yarn was a good blend of workhorse and softness. He wore it, and a fair bit at that, but it never lived up to the perfection of the Sci-Fi.

He complained once or twice about the neckline not fitting exactly right and while I listened, I didn’t do anything other than make a mental note the next sweater would be another seamless hybrid. Each year, for three years, when it was worn for the first time that season, I made that little mental note and filed it away.

A few weeks ago, he emerged from the bedroom throwing the charcoal raglan on over his head. He took three steps towards me and stopped. He looked at the floor and quietly sighed, “I’m sorry, I just can’t do it. The neckline bugs me and this one just isn’t as good as the Sci-fi. I’m really, really sorry.”

In that instant, I had what could only be a knitter’s epiphany. Um, hello! You are a knitter! You knit the damn sweater in the first place, what is to stop you from FIXING THE DAMN THING for him. Rip out the dumb yoke and neckline and reknit it!

I don’t think I wounded him when I tore that sucker off over his head, but I’m sure it was close. 5 minutes later I had picked out the woven in ends and started frogging the ribbing around the neck yelling, “I’m sorry honey, but you’ll have to make do with just the Sci-fi for a few weeks.”

riiiiiiiiip! (365.3.6)

I ripped all the way back to below the armholes that night. The underarm stitches had felted into iron, so I had to cut a few inches off the body and arms before getting all the stitches back on the needles. The reknitting only took a few days over a couple weeks, but any way you slice it, it was faster than knitting a whole new sweater.

full reknit

reknit!

reknit yoke

Much better fit

The fit of the seamless hybrid works so well for him. I’m happy with how this one turned out. He is too, since he’s worn it almost every day since I finished it. It just proved to me that I *can* get it right, it’s just that sometimes it takes me a few years to figure things out.

(Full details here on Ravelry)

• Danielle said:

Looks great!
    And the sweater is nice too :)

• Mary said:

You are amazing. And I’m inspired now to rework a hat project, which seems so small in comparison.

• grumperina said:

Fab. I would have done exactly the same thing :).

• thea said:

Yay! All the work paid off.

• Leah said:

Wonderful job! It looks fabulous.

• k said:

i love his eyebrow arch in the second shot of him. glad the sweater was fixable and it turned out great!

• Vicki said:

Oh, I love a happy ending!! ; )

• Dani said:

It looks awesome! The seamless hybrid I made my hubby is his favourite too. I did a couple interesting mods to get it perfect (like some short rows to make the front a touch longer at the bottom) and he loves it. I love the colour you chose for your hubby’s.

• Angela said:

That is one incredibly snappy looking sweater. And the salt and pepper hair…when did this happen?!

• Joanna said:

Caro, that is amazing! I love love LOVE that sweater! And your hunky hubby is so handsome!! This post makes me want to relearn how to knit so I can make my own hunky hubby a sweater just like this one!

• Heather said:

Seriously Caro you are such a wizard, what a great call. I really want to make G a Seamless Hybrid after seeing the magic you worked here!

• Kellie said:

well I’m so glad you reknit this because it meant I got to see it and was so inspired by this and the Sci-Fi sweater that I am currently motoring my way through the endless stockinette involved in knitting a Hybrid sweater for my 6’2″ husband. Hope it looks at least half as nice as your two.