Home » FOs, Headline, knitting, scarves

sereknity, now!

4 February 2011 2,686 views 9 Comments

After giving shawls the ol’ college try last year and still feeling lobster-bibby about them, I decided to try again but with a pattern more scarf like. I wanted something that would still be lacy and pretty, but that wouldn’t make me feel like asking for more butter and a shrimp fork.

Enter Abrazo (by Susanna IC) from the Spring/Summer 2010 issue of Twist Collective. It’s gently curved so it sits nicely on your shoulders and not so overwhelming large that it’s cumbersome. It still has the scalloped pointy bits along one edge, but not so much that it’s granny-like.

humble beginnings

Heather from Sereknity Yarns had set aside some Good Harbor Sock Options in coal for me at Fiber Revival (when she remembered that I wanted some 8 months before)  and a few weeks later I cast on. 10 days is my magic number for small shawl completion. Ishbel? 10 days. Swallowtail? 10 days. True to form, Abrazo was also 10 days from cast on to bind off.

Abrazo

abrazo

After I finished it, I still wasn’t 100% how I felt about it, so to force the decision, I put away all my other scarves for a week and only wore Abrazo. By the end of the week, I wasn’t wearing it like a shawl, but it had certainly become a favourite. It’s so warm! And if I just scrunch it around my neck, it may defeat some of the purpose of the design, but it’s the only way I like it. And like it I do.

abrazo

Full details over here on Ravelry.

• gale (she shoots sheep shots) said:

Lobster-bibby indeed. That’s the adjective I’ve been looking for to describe my failed triangle shawlette relationship!
    Love your scrunched coal one though, it totally works.

• Vicki said:

Oooh, that’s gorgeous — IN LOVE WITH THAT COLOR!

• Oiyi said:

Oh, what a great colorway!

• indigorchid said:

I’m like you – not really convinced by the shawl-ness (ahem, usefullness?) of shawls, and looking for not so frilly versions of them to knit (which I’ve yet to do, but have yarn to do so!). I’ve also come to realize it’s totally fine to wear them as scarves and discard showing off the pattern. I mean, if you knit it, and enjoyed it, and it keeps some part of your body feeling cozy, that’s a triple score, isn’t it? (I’d say so!)

• sam said:

Love it! I made an Annis from knitty, it’s very similar construction. I might have to make this one too!

• becca said:

Looks great! I think I might need to cast on for mine today (the yarn’s been hanging out ready to go for about 2 months).

• Heather said:

*I* want on on the 10-day shawl! You did a Swallowtail in 10 days? Wow. I feel like mine take 5 weeks, but I am less disciplined I fear. This Abrazo is a stunner Caro, love that steely, metallic gray so much.

• Specs said:

I wasn’t sold on the bib look either, but my Boneyard is so, so warm. I wear it every single day just because I can’t get the same sternum coverage with a scarf.

• Sandra said:

hmn…I thought the pattern looked too shawl-y when I saw it in Twist Collective but I LOVE your version. Sooo pretty :). Off to put it in my Rav queue!