Home » FOs, Headline, knitting, Knitting It Old School

a rude girl of my own

16 March 2011 6,330 views 7 Comments

I have waxed poetic about my love of Valley Yarns Northampton before, and you’ll hear me do it again. There’s a reason I chose it for my two sweaters in Knitting It Old School. For $4.99 a ball, at 247 yds, you can knit up a good sized sweater pretty inexpensively. My version of Rude Girl used 5 balls in the burgundy colour and a couple yards each of the black and white. Total cost if you don’t get it on sale? $25. How rad is that?

rude girl

I knit mine with a little too much positive ease in the bust (I didn’t actually knit to the pattern, I just knit til it fit under the arms) and a bit of positive ease in the waist. (Should have added just a bit more ease there. ohai beer belly! Love you!)

Rude Girl sleeve details

Next time I knit it I’ll probably scoop the neck a bit more too. If I follow Amy’s Fit to Flatter guidelines, my front porch could really do with a bit more skin showing. I also think the next one will be charcoal grey. I found it challenging knitting the samples for the book, since they needed to be colourful which goes against my normal sombre wardrobe palette of black, grey, brown and more black.

rude girl neckline

Still, I’ve worn this one heaps since I finished it in August and I totally heart it.

Rude Girl blocking

*special thanks to Amy for taking the photos for me so I didn’t have to wrestle with a tripod on my own.

• Specs said:

I totally love that yarn. Love!

• Manise said:

I love that color on you! I’m definitely going to have check Valley Yarns Northampton out.

• Amy said:

Such a gorgeous sweater. And that green wall is made of magical win. These photos scream sunshine and warmer weather!

(Or perhaps that’s just my wishful thinking…)

• thea said:

Love that pic of you all smiley! The sweater looks great in that color and I also agree a charcoal gray one would be beautiful too — I have a skein of the Northampton Bulky waiting in the wings for a fall project, totally agree on the bargain great yarn….

• cockeyed said:

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE! so cute and pretty darn sexy on you!~ Can’t wait to make one!!

• Heather said:

Fantastic, Caro! Your burgundy version is lovely. I got some grey Cascade 220 to make one for Gary and am excited to cast on for it.

• Byneedleandthread said:

i just ordered a colour card for this yarn. thank you for suggesting it. it’s always nice to be able to make things that are affordable! your sweater looks great btw. :)