Home » Headline, quilting, sewing

bee-hind

13 May 2011 2,913 views 8 Comments

Last spring, I joined up with two quilting bees. One, a bee with my KBC gals. The other, a whack of Twitter pals who all wanted to Bee it up.

Basically the way an online quilting bee works is that each person is assigned a month. When it’s your month, you pick a quilting block that everyone will make and then you mail each person in the group a bundle of your chosen fabrics to work up a couple blocks. (usually two, KBeeC does three.) Each person then has a month to make your blocks and mail them back to you along with any scraps. At the end of your month, you have 24+ blocks lovingly made by your friends to sew into a quilt top. Repeat until the year is finished.

strings for Danielle!

This is all well and good when you’re at the top of your time management game, but with the book coming out last fall, I fell behind. Like, 4 months behind. In 2 bees. By the end of December I was about 17 blocks behind. Ay yi yi! I’m almost caught up now, but I thought I’d share some of the ones that I worked up for the gang.

Ribbon block for Earthchik

chawne's first block

red cross blocks

It’s been so fun to do these blocks and learn some new techniques. I just wish I had more time to devote to bee’ing. Lesson learned, I’ll only do one bee at a time going forward. Make me stick to that promise!

Ohio Star for Sara

Sarah's TwitterBee block #2

Andrea's block #1

• Byneedleandthread said:

Your blocks look great! I’m also in a bee, and was in more than one in previous years. It is amazing how quickly one can fall behind. Definitely a test in time management even though I already know that my time management is awful!

• Kathy said:

Gorgeous! My favorite one is the orange/grey number — love it!

• Manise said:

Yup definitely the orange and grey one! Love it.

• Monica said:

Oh, they’re beautiful. No one will mind waiting for those, I’m sure.

• Amy said:

They’re all so beautiful it’s hard to pick a fave!!!

• Heather said:

Gosh Caro you are such a talented quilter, and THANK YOU for explaining the online BEE thing. I have always wondered how it worked, what the logistics were, etc. It sounds like being late with blocks is the norm, because I see a lot of “sorry this is so late” posts on Twitter. Yet I know this still wouldn’t work for me because I get so bent out of shape when I’m late on something, it would make me mental and suddenly ohai it’s not fun anymore. Luckily your crew is nice and lateness isn’t an issue!

• Skooks said:

I LOVE that orange and gray one . . . what is the name of that block?

• Debe DeAngelo said:

OMG – these blocks are beautiful enough to make me drop my knitting needles and dig into my fabric stash…love the idea of the quilting bee…Blocks 3, 6,7 are my faves….

Thx for sharing!